Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I had this problem quite a few times on the drive home from a friends yesterday. Driving along at motorway speeds when the 156 goes into neutral, after the initial shock I put it back into 5th..
After a few miles, it started happening more frequently, and by the end of the journey I'd given up on trying to hold it in 5th, and drove home in 4th. I'm worried that this is a serious problem (i.e. new gearbox) any advise gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
127 Posts
Had this recently on a renault laguna ...

check , or get the gearbox checked for oil .. dont drive the car like that.
Its wear on the 5th gear most like and won't be pretty .
How ever if your really lucky it will be a selector problem .

Sometimes the inner boot on the drive shaft fails , and the gearbox is dry before you know it .

did it have a whine from the gears lately , speed related ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JayCee,

No whine at all, it was just jumping out of 5th more frequently, so I left it in 4th. I've booked it into my trusted Alfa garage, and they think it could be straight forward to fix, as the 5th gear can be reached without a lot of effort. Just hope I haven't ruined it already.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok .... no whine sounds hopeful , dry gearboxes tend to whine before they start to eat themselves ..you may be lucky then.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you mate ...rotten luck !
Let us know how you get on .

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine had the same symptoms, albeit in a GTV. Firstly gearbox was stiff selecting 4th, after a month the 4th was bouncing out when driving and then couldn't get in 4th at all. Had a re-con box & new clutch put in. Hope there is a cheaper cure for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts