Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My SO purchased a 2007 147 last year, the car has no service history but runs well & so far has been a good buy.

The timing belt is meant to be changed every 36,000 miles or every 3 years. As we have received no maintenance records I can only assume this has not been done.

The car is currently at 51,000 miles.

We're going to take it in to The Alfa Workshop in Royston for a new cambelt & service.

I've recently replaced the rear springs, brake pads & rotors and rear drop links, as well as changing the oil & filter.

Is there anything else worth doing before taking it into a service?

Any common problems with this car I can address myself?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You’ll probably know that the upper front wishbones can squeak after a relatively short time and need replacing, and the anti roll bar bushes can fail and cause knocking. Front drop links also can be a bit weak. But it sounds as though you’ve gone through most of the car.
AW’s service is pretty thorough; I used to take my 156 there and I’ve just had a cambelt and service on my new Giulietta. They’ll check everything down to lights/indicators, tyres, the whole thing. As with any garage, ask if you need to; they are good for advice.
Biggest worry on any 147/156/GT these days will be rusty floors. That’s what killed my 156 in the end.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Is it a long trip to Alfa Workshop for you? You are on borrowed time if the belt hasn't been done. It should have had three changes by now just on time alone.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a long trip to Alfa Workshop for you? You are on borrowed time if the belt hasn't been done. It should have had three changes by now just on time alone.
The garage is an hour & a half away, I've booked it in for the 25th, she can use my car till then and I'll take the bike, a bit of a gamble then do you think?

Knowing my luck it will snap on the way to the garage.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It’s a gamble! When I bought my 147 with no belt history I drove it to the garage the very next day to get it changed.
I’m not going to say it’s a huge risk, I just need to make you aware of the potential issue.
I’d budget for getting the variatior changed at the same time,

·
Registered
602 Posts
It’s a gamble! When I bought my 147 with no belt history I drove it to the garage the very next day to get it changed.
I’m not going to say it’s a huge risk, I just need to make you aware of the potential issue.
I’d budget for getting the variatior changed at the same time,
Alfa Gt Jtd 2004 has variatior or not?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Only TS and JTS have a variator.
The weak link is the coolant pump which is driven by the timing belt.
There is a good chance it may be noisy before failure and also a good chance the belt has been changed once before.

Take it relatively easy and view it as wise preventative maintenance. I'm guessing you're having coolant and pump changed also. Take note of where the gauge sits and advise AW. That's just in case thermostat is iffy but hopefully all is well and nothing to be overly concerned about.

I've driven a few Twinsparks home after purchasing and most had no history. I've probably covered over 1000 miles all together and I just used my ears and judgement. I never suffered any failures.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Hang on, we are talking about two different cars here. The Op has a 147 and as he's talking about 36k intervals we can assume its a TS. I've never heard of a belt failure on a TS caused by the water pump. Diesels yes, petrol's no. However as the belt has to come off to change the pump its good practice to do it at the same time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hang on, we are talking about two different cars here. The Op has a 147 and as he's talking about 36k intervals we can assume its a TS. I've never heard of a belt failure on a TS caused by the water pump. Diesels yes, petrol's no. However as the belt has to come off to change the pump its good practice to do it at the same time.
It's a Petrol 147 1.6 TS - Collezione. Is the water pump not an issue then?

Based on the car, what else should we budget for when getting the cambelt done?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
801 Posts
The water pumps in petrols have metal impellers and are pretty good, as far as I’m aware. I got AW to check mine on my 156 TS and they found no weeping so left it alone, at 160k miles it was still going strong. Then again, they’re only a few quid compared to the cambelt change, so up to you.
The diesel impellers are plastic and separate from the shaft, with obvious results.
If there is a rattle at start up the variatior will need changing too, again AW will advise this if necessary.
I’d echo Rockhopper’s warning though - at 51k the cambelt is well overdue and failure on TS engines causes catastrophic damage to pistons, valves and main bearings.
Is there any possibility of getting it trailered there?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The cam belt has to come off to change the waterpump and its not good practice to reuse an old belt so if the pump fails in six months time you could end up paying for a second cam belt job as well. Some people say that a new belt can stress an old pump and encourage it to fail.
So, if the history is unknown then do belt and tensioners, variator and water pump. The pump is only about £30 from memory.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
As said its wise to change the waterpump on the ts as a precaution, on the ts engines the tensioners are the weak park, the early ts had a plastic tensioners which is the main reason the belt inteval was halved to 36k and the tensiiners modified. chances are your later car will have the modified metal tensioner from new but dont risk it.

Someone mentioned above about the diesel engines having plastic impellers that fall off. This is not true, the 16 or 20v diesel engine pumps suffer from the bearings seizing up and taking the belt off, often without warning by becoming noisy.
Its the 2.5 v6 pumps that suffer form the plastic impellers coming loose, the 3.0 and 3.2 have a metal iimpeller that dont fall off so these pumps are used on the 2.5 v6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts