Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back this Tuesday from a long driving holiday with the GTA.
Darlington-Dover-Paris-Venice-Ancona-Greece and back.
Covered 5000 miles mostly on motorways with mixed mountain driving in 40.5 degrees of ambient temperature. The faultless(apart from the vibration under light braking) performance of the car made this holiday a very enjoyable experience. Crusing on the French and Italian motorways with 95-100mph was nice and the average consumption of the whole trip was 11l/100km.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Sounds great. Bet you are glad to be back with this lovely weather we're having! :rolleyes:

We are off to Italy on Friday, can't wait, though must confess we are going in the GFs new Bravo. Its down between Rome and Naples, so are going Middlesbrough - Calais - Basel - Arpino. Won't have time for any of the passes on the way down but hopefully will on the way back.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just came back this Tuesday from a long driving holiday with the GTA.
Darlington-Dover-Paris-Venice-Ancona-Greece and back.
Covered 5000 miles mostly on motorways with mixed mountain driving in 40.5 degrees of ambient temperature. The faultless(apart from the vibration under light braking) performance of the car made this holiday a very enjoyable experience. Crusing on the French and Italian motorways with 95-100mph was nice and the average consumption of the whole trip was 11l/100km.
wow thats an epic journey...:eek:

I did Bologna - Ancona the other week and that was enough for me...admittedly in an Avis Fiesta!:)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Would love to do a drive to Italy - down to our family home near Avelino (near Naples) - however some of the village roads are so bad, I'd be scared to take the GTA as I doubt I'll any front end left with as it will spend all day just grounding at the front.

I almost did drive to Italy a few years ago, but worked out the cost and time to get there, and thought it would make much more sense to just fly and hire !

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I drove down to Lucca and back last year in the 156 JTD, did about 2500 miles in about 10 days, was great fun. Would love to drive back in the GTA, may well do next year.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I'd love to have the time (and petrol money) to do this !!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds great. Bet you are glad to be back with this lovely weather we're having! :rolleyes:

We are off to Italy on Friday, can't wait, though must confess we are going in the GFs new Bravo. Its down between Rome and Naples, so are going Middlesbrough - Calais - Basel - Arpino. Won't have time for any of the passes on the way down but hopefully will on the way back.
Have fun mate. At least you are still going in an italian car.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For everyone that is planning to do this type of driving holiday i must say that i highly recommend it. So much fun, especially driving late at night in Italy and France is a dream, set the cruise control at 100+ and you swallow the miles.
Funny thing i was driving at some point close to calais momentarily with 150mph and i had a look at the instant consumption and it was 28lt/100km!!!! this means at that speed you could empty a tank in less than an hour.

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
For everyone that is planning to do this type of driving holiday i must say that i highly recommend it. So much fun, especially driving late at night in Italy and France is a dream, set the cruise control at 100+ and you swallow the miles.
Funny thing i was driving at some point close to calais momentarily with 150mph and i had a look at the instant consumption and it was 28lt/100km!!!! this means at that speed you could empty a tank in less than an hour.
Thing is, you'd still have done 150 miles, in an hour, even if you'd used a full tank. I use a full tank doing 150 miles in and around York in rush-hour, and thats averaging about 10mph :lol:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
yeah late night driving on the French motorways, basically empty. The trouble I had was staying awake. We went via German and topped out the 156 1.9 8v JTD at 120mph (legally), made great progress averaging over 100mph until we hit a traffic jam and lost it all.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thing is, you'd still have done 150 miles, in an hour, even if you'd used a full tank. I use a full tank doing 150 miles in and around York in rush-hour, and thats averaging about 10mph :lol:
My Commiserations - I used to live in York before moving up to the North East and know how frustrating it was in 1990! I could cycle to work faster than going round the ring road or straight through and that was from poppleton to dunnington!

The work dash has been 4 minutes since moving up this way, which is a tad over 4 miles door to door...

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
My Commiserations - I used to live in York before moving up to the North East and know how frustrating it was in 1990! I could cycle to work faster than going round the ring road or straight through and that was from poppleton to dunnington!

The work dash has been 4 minutes since moving up this way, which is a tad over 4 miles door to door...
Poppleton to Dunnington! I feel sorry for you, that must have been hell.. :(

I was doing Huntington to A59 and that would take between 30-45 minutes depending on traffic etc, but with no traffic at all I could do it in under 10. The ring road should have been dual carriageway all around from the start :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Well we are booked on the Chunnel tomorrow night so that one is out of the window! I have just booked us on the Hull - Zeebrugge ferry instead. That way we avoid all the chaos!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts