Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick bit of research (and fun)

what sort of range of times are we all achieving planting your foot down at 50mph up to 70mph in 4th gear? - bit more realistic than the normal car mag 5th gear slog which will break most petrols ;-)

would like a full range of engines and types of fuel and ideally remapped cars to get some benchmarks

obviously to be done on a level bit of motorway when its safe to do so ;-)

post away....

standard 2.4 q4 sw (heavy!) one driver (heavy) and full tank of juice - just a smidge below 5 seconds

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
997 turbo does it in 2.2 (!!!!)
v8 vantage 4.1

to give you an idea of performance car figures

hot hatches

astra vxr 4.0sec,
Golf GTi’s 4.4sec
Clio 182 5.6sec

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I'll try it and let you know after my trip home on Friday ;)

Then on November 1st I'll try it again :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If I floor my car in 4th at 50mph I can feel the gear box and clutch shaking because I have too much torque at that speed :(

(I can do 50-100 using 3rd and 4th in a smidge over 10 seconds though :thumbs:)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
2008 2.4 20 valve diesel Brera, 6000 on the clock P-Box K&N panel filter, on empty and 12 stone ish driver, no spare wheel: 3.8 seconds less if I brake spool...:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
2008 2.4 20 valve diesel Brera, 6000 on the clock P-Box K&N panel filter, on empty and 12 stone ish driver, no spare wheel: 3.8 seconds less if I brake spool...:)
and people say Brera's are slow :rolleyes: :rolleyes: that is a bloody good time :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

:thumbs: nice one :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
682 Posts
Difficult to say - I will get my speed restrictor (wife) to time it next time I'm out.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Gave it a try on the way home ... 4th was a rather disappointing 4.1 seconds :( ... 3rd on the other hand a much more respectable 2.8 :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gave it a try on the way home ... 4th was a rather disappointing 4.1 seconds :( ... 3rd on the other hand a much more respectable 2.8 :thumbs:
only as quick an aston martin vantage... never mind :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I'll get my stop watch out

D

·
0 Posts
Around the 4.5s mark for a remapped 147 JTD 16v m-jet.

Couldn't do it without the clutch slipping a bit though

To do this right, do you hold the car at 50 then hit the throttle or accelerate from 40, start the stopwatch at 50 and stop it at 70? I reckon I could get a far lower time with the turbo already spinning accelerating hard from 40mph.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
what sort of range of times are we all achieving planting your foot down at 50mph up to 70mph in 4th gear? - bit more realistic than the normal car mag 5th gear slog which will break most petrols
To do this right, do you hold the car at 50 then hit the throttle or accelerate from 40, start the stopwatch at 50 and stop it at 70?
;)

D

·
0 Posts
Coolio, I did it right! Official readout was 4.6 something but I'm not that confident in the accuracy of holding exactly 50, the timing of my fat thumb as I'm driving and catching it as it hits bang on 70 so I'm saying around the 4.5 second mark!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts