Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Only 4 months ago I decided to take the plunge and buy an Alfa GTV here in Australia. Checked out all good and drove like a dream until a tooth from a gear in the gearbox came off, and destroyed the entire housing and other gears/bearings. All in all I need a new gearbox (plus a clutch cause the transmission oil went all over the clutch...)

Anyways I have tried almost 40 places all around Australia and got only a couple of responses. I got quoted $5000 AUS for a new 5 speed, $2800 for a 2nd hand 5 speed that has done 68,000ks.

And then a shocker - I got quoted $1000 AUS for a 5 speed thats done 'low kms' (still awaiting the exact mileage). This guy knows wreckers in England that ship it down to him in Melbourne and pays not much for shipping because he puts it on a pallet and it takes anywhere up to 6 weeks to get it down. He attributes the low price of the gearbox because the alfas are a lot cheaper in Europe.

I was wondering to get any adivce from you guys if this story sounds about right. That means he can get the gearbox for around 408 pounds -- which sounds very cheap!!!

Too good to be true? What do u guys think/suggest?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
By the looks of UK ebay gearboxes are cheap compared to other countries.

Will the 6 speed gearbox fit in place of the 5 speed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It doesn't sound entirely wrong. I just had to buy a 5-speed gearbox with my GTV V6 engine because the seller didn't know how to separate them:lol: I paid 100EUR (70£ ish) for that and starter, alternator. All done about 110k km. He did have the gearbox up on ebay for 300 EUR tho, not being sold.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hey guys,

Only 4 months ago I decided to take the plunge and buy an Alfa GTV here in Australia. Checked out all good and drove like a dream until a tooth from a gear in the gearbox came off, and destroyed the entire housing and other gears/bearings. All in all I need a new gearbox (plus a clutch cause the transmission oil went all over the clutch...)

Anyways I have tried almost 40 places all around Australia and got only a couple of responses. I got quoted $5000 AUS for a new 5 speed, $2800 for a 2nd hand 5 speed that has done 68,000ks.

And then a shocker - I got quoted $1000 AUS for a 5 speed thats done 'low kms' (still awaiting the exact mileage). This guy knows wreckers in England that ship it down to him in Melbourne and pays not much for shipping because he puts it on a pallet and it takes anywhere up to 6 weeks to get it down. He attributes the low price of the gearbox because the alfas are a lot cheaper in Europe.

I was wondering to get any adivce from you guys if this story sounds about right. That means he can get the gearbox for around 408 pounds -- which sounds very cheap!!!

Too good to be true? What do u guys think/suggest?

We can send you a gearbox with a Q2 fitted so it won’t happen again.

See our web site for details

Auto Lusso - Alfa Romeo Gearbox Rebuilds, Replacement and Repairs - Hertfordshire, Bedfordshre UK

I don’t think I would want to buy a second hand one and ship it all the way there with out a guarantee.

Also you can fit a 6 speed box in your car, it is also a good idea to use a solid flywheel and clutch from a 156 2.5 V6. This will do away with the duel mass flywheel and make the engine much faster reving.

Ned

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
wow ned, autolusso international:wow: impressed!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts