Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I may have a chance of a GTV V6 with a 5 speed gearbox.

Does anyone know if the 5 speed box is especially prone to diff failures? I know the 6 speeds ones can be troublesome.

The 5 spped box fitted to my Fiat is supposed to be pretty bulletproof, but I don't know if it is the same box.

Cheers In advance. :D

Simon.

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
The Q2 fits the 5-speed V6 gearbox, so I would assume the diff in it is the same as the one in the 6-speed V6/16vJTD and 5-speed 10vJTD gearboxes. So just as prone to failure I would imagine, but I can't say I have actually heard of it happening before. Not heard of a JTD diff failure either for exampe, but no reason why one couldn't be broken.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hi All.

I may have a chance of a GTV V6 with a 5 speed gearbox.

Does anyone know if the 5 speed box is especially prone to diff failures? I know the 6 speeds ones can be troublesome.

The 5 spped box fitted to my Fiat is supposed to be pretty bulletproof, but I don't know if it is the same box.

Cheers In advance. :D

Simon.
The 5 speed box diff fails just as easily as in the 6 speed after all it is the same diff and the gearbox casing, I have a couple here that have failed. I would not worry about it too much though, just get a diff fitted and you know you have improved the handling and it won’t fail

Simon you’re not that far away from us you are welcome to come in and I can show you how it works

Ned

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Pud.

Whether I buy it or not depends on what sort of deal I can get. I must admit 5 speed diff failures seem pretty rare, so there must be some differences with the diff to the 6 speed.

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
Cheers Pud.

Whether I buy it or not depends on what sort of deal I can get. I must admit 5 speed diff failures seem pretty rare, so there must be some differences with the diff to the 6 speed.
There are no differences, I think its just a numbers game why we haven't seen so many.

Same as the 156 20v waterpump, same as the 16v one (same exact part number) but we haven't seen one of these sieze yet but we've seen loads of 16v JTD cam belt failures caused by siezing waterpump..

·
Registered
38,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 5 speed box diff fails just as easily as in the 6 speed after all it is the same diff and the gearbox casing, I have a couple here that have failed. I would not worry about it too much though, just get a diff fitted and you know you have improved the handling and it won’t fail

Simon you’re not that far away from us you are welcome to come in and I can show you how it works

Ned
Thanks Ned.

I have to get the car first, which is far from certain. If I do i will pop over and see you. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
yup 5 speed does fail.... mines a five speed and now have a Q2 fitted after a failure. just popped the badge on the rear :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts