Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Wikipedia is to be believed a 5 speed auto existed. The article gives a reference of AWE and they list the 166 as one of the cars.

AWE Products / Automatic Transmissions

Any ideas if this is true? Then what would be the level of impossibility to retro fit ( cue gales of laughter)

Paul

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why can I only find 4 speed autos in the uk, was it something only for LHD cars?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't know, but I am pretty sure that FL models with V6 (2.5, 3.0) were available with 5-speed auto. Never have I seen it with 4-speed.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..the Lancia got the 5 speed auto with the Busso i think, but I'm pretty sure the 166 always had the 4 speed with the V6 for some reason.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Uff, my bad, I am sorry! I was certain they fit 5-speed auto onto 166 V6 just like on Lancia thesis 3.0/3.2. What was wrong with them not doing that in FL 2003?

Diesels at least had 5-speed auto, but those were not available in UK anyway.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Uff, my bad, I am sorry! I was certain they fit 5-speed auto onto 166 V6 just like on Lancia thesis 3.0/3.2. What was wrong with them not doing that in FL 2003?
I guess they would've needed to rewrite the software, so instead they seem to have decided to position the 3.0 auto as the "luxury" option, while the manual 3.2 was the performance car. It's a real pity alright.. the auto worked well in sport mode, but it really did need more gears..

Funny thing though, i never heard anyone complain that an auto 164 didn't have enough gears..?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guess they would've needed to rewrite the software, so instead they seem to have decided to position the 3.0 auto as the "luxury" option, while the manual 3.2 was the performance car. It's a real pity alright.. the auto worked well in sport mode, but it really did need more gears..

Funny thing though, i never heard anyone complain that an auto 164 didn't have enough gears..?
In the days of the 164, most competitor cars had 4 speed auto boxes as the 5/6 speed treansmissions hadn't been developed. By the time the 166 was released most competitors were fitted with 5 speed boxes. When I had my 3.0 Sportronic I felt that the car could either do with more gears or better power delivery lower down in the rev range (or both!).

ATB Richard

·
Registered
913 Posts

If they fitted 5-speed auto to a 2.4 diesel I don't see software as the reason anyway. Probably they were just lazy or under strict budget :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..it's possible 2nd gear is just too long in the 166 i guess.. from memory it'll do nearly 80mph in 2nd? Was it that long in the 164..?
I know plenty of cars had 4 speed autos at the time, but they didn't necessarily have a torque peak at 5000rpm.. :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think it would be more acceptable if it had 3 modes. 'Normal', 'Sport' plus one somewhere in between...plus the ability to make it stop adapting when it reaches a point you are happy with. I really liked the way ours drove after I did a gearbox reset but due to the bulk of our driving being slow & steady, it quickly ended up back in grandpa mode.

Of course, another couple of gears would certainly help.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Maybe someone with enough knowledge could fit a 5-speed auto from Lancia Thesis 3.0/3.2 to 166 V6 (FL?), afterall it is the same gearbox Alfa 166 had coupled with 2.4 diesel on FL models, so electronics should work with each other?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it's been fun digging around understanding this. The Thesis is I think the next generation on and was not on a 166 floor plan, the Kappa was on the same platform but only came with the ZF 4 speed. I would think the ability to find a FL 5 spd autobox from a breaker in Europe might be a better bet as the ecu gubbins would be more likely to work. Are the digital dashboard displays different on FL ones as that would limit the conversion to FL only.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do not know about the digital displays, but probably the same, FL models were full canbus, if that plays a role at all. I mentioned Thesis because its auto would fit directly on the engine, and the mounting point of the gearbox-to-chassis would probably be similar between 4speed and 5speed. You should check engine mount ePer codes if they match between models/gearboxes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts