Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a Rosso 130 red 156. Apart from purple bumpers the panels are all matched and are remarkably good for a 16 year old motor.

One thing I would like help with. On the roof there's a small area about the size of a fingernail of missing clear-coat (grrrr). The exposed paint is unfaded but there are small hairline 'fingers' starting to run under the clear-coat. I think a complete roof respray is the answer - but, in the interim.... how best retard the peeling process? I'm thinking of just painting some clearcoat over the area - not pretty but no worse than it looks at the moment...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sadly yes only a respray will fix this. To slow it down and before the winters inclement weather you'll need to act on it.

Pick with your nail all the loose lacquer away then dribble in some new lacquer. Let it go off properly and re do again if any gaps or low spots present.

You can use a nibber, or wet n dry paper to sand it down to flat it off then mop it to hide the repair as best as possible.

I did this on one of my previous cars and it worked quite well your eye wasn't drawn to the damage as it was before.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sadly yes only a respray will fix this. To slow it down and before the winters inclement weather you'll need to act on it.

Pick with your nail all the loose lacquer away then dribble in some new lacquer. Let it go off properly and re do again if any gaps or low spots present.

You can use a nibber, or wet n dry paper to sand it down to flat it off then mop it to hide the repair as best as possible.

I did this on one of my previous cars and it worked quite well your eye wasn't drawn to the damage as it was before.
This has worked for me too. It's worth cleaning the area before you apply the lacquer. In my case, I was happy enough with a couple of coats and no need to flatten it back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts