Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car been for its 36,000 service today and when i asked what grade oil had been put in, so i know what to top up with, he told me that at the tempretures these engines run at 5/30 is best. i do trust the garage,had lots of good experience with them but not heard 5/30 recommended for these engines before, anyone else use it?
Normal put 10/40 in, its the 2 litre petrol engine.

K

·
0 Posts
5w30 is recommended for Ford Zetec engines and they don't run as well on anything else. It says 10W40 in my book and that's what's going in mine at the weekend. Given that Alfa lumps tend to use a drop anyway, putting something that thin in seems unwise.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
5W30 is only spec'd in a TS for extreme cold climates.
Do not use 5W30.

·
Registered
384 Posts
look in your owners manual, will say 10w 60.

as above, no 5w 30.

your garage does not sound like they know about alfa`s

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like have to drain out the 5/30 tomorrow and fill with 10/40 again,then go get a refund on monday. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10/40, as the guys say but if you have run it not too hard it'll have given the whirly bits a bit of a clean up.
Only done about a mile with that oil in and proberbly have to do another 10 to get some 10/40 or 10/60, i,ll treat the 5/30 as an engine flush.:rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Be careful with the 10w60 as this is selenia racing which is a completely different blend of oil to what you get in the factors just stick to 10w40

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I would use a 5w-40 fully synthetic or a 10w-40 semi synthetic in a Twinspark.

10w-60 is very thick, and the main reason why Alfa specify it is to reduce oil consumption.

Selenia Racing also doesn't conform to ACEA and API oil specifications.

Running with the 5w-30 probably won't do any damage, but it is likely that the engine will burn it quite quickly.

·
Registered
384 Posts
selenia racing is not the only 10w60 oil manufactured.

others include castrol edge, castrol edge sport and shell helix ultra racing.

it is difficult to get hold of except through mail order usually.

yes alfa do spec 10w60 to try and limit oil consumption.

i put 10w40 selenia in my 81k miles selespeed and the consumption was ridiculous.

i had no option but to put in the 10w60, i used shell.

i would use 10w40 if had a choice as its is easier to source.

your car is low mileage so it is worth trying the 10w40 but as everyone knows levels must be checked very frequently, i check mine twice a week.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
don't drain the 5/30 it will be consumed by the TS engine , just fill
it up with 10/40 ...

M

·
0 Posts
Castrol 10w60 is fully synth while selenia racing is a tribasic which is important for the t spark engine

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
So the 2 grades will mix ok? just top up with 10/40.
I think rarebear might have been joking. ;)

Oil grades will mix, but it isn't a great thing to do.

The majority of TS engines will be fine on 10w-40 semi synthetic, providing you check the level every week and are prepared to top it up.

If you find that the engine burns more than you think is acceptable then consider going for a thicker oil like a 10w-50 or 10w-60

Running a 10w-60 has other disadvantages, that need to be taken into account, such as greater drag (higher fuel consumption) lower oil flow to the top of the engine, and higher load on the oil pump.

You really don't want to be using the thicker oil unless you have to, unless you live in a hot climate or run the car on a track regularly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think rarebear might have been joking. ;)

Oil grades will mix, but it isn't a great thing to do.

The majority of TS engines will be fine on 10w-40 semi synthetic, providing you check the level every week and are prepared to top it up.

If you find that the engine burns more than you think is acceptable then consider going for a thicker oil like a 10w-50 or 10w-60

Running a 10w-60 has other disadvantages, that need to be taken into account, such as greater drag (higher fuel consumption) lower oil flow to the top of the engine, and higher load on the oil pump.

You really don't want to be using the thicker oil unless you have to, unless you live in a hot climate or run the car on a track regularly.
it was running on 10/40 before service and didnt drink too much of it,for ts engine anyway. Right off for some 10/40 magnetec, i wont settle till its done:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I was not joking, but draining new oil because of wrong (in this case too thin) spec is a waste of money !
I used 10W60 (Elf racing) for years but last year I decided to go for 10w40 .... engine still does not use any oil to speak of and runs perfectly. Just kep the 5w30 till the next oil change and then go for 10w40 semi synth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was not joking, but draining new oil because of wrong (in this case too thin) spec is a waste of money !
I used 10W60 (Elf racing) for years but last year I decided to go for 10w40 .... engine still does not use any oil to speak of and runs perfectly. Just kep the 5w30 till the next oil change and then go for 10w40 semi synth.
Bugga,read this too late,just been and wasted some money, now running on magnetec 10/40 semi synth.That must be one of the shortest service intervals ever, 28 miles between changes:lol:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
it only hurt your wallet ! and Bella is now happy with Magnatec (like mine is !!!:lol: )

p.s. and keep an eagle eye on your Selespeed oil !!!! muyo importante !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts