Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggest I'm thinking of selling me GT and replacing it with a 4x4 (don't worry I'll be keeping the 159TI!).

The 4x4 has been diesel and preferably have 7 seats, max budget 10k My shortlist is

Merc M Class
VW Touareg
Land Rover Discovery 3

Any comments on the above or other I should be considering?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Kia Sportage - seriously. Great looking, brilliant warranty:)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If it was me I would look for the nicest Disco in the land that fell within budget.

The Merc always looks a bit Footballers Wives, The Touareg is a whole lot of car but you will have trouble selling it on in the future I suspect unless you throw in a free oil refinery and I don't think Simons Kia is available as a 7 seat is it? (Correct me if I'm wrong) - but in any event it looks low rent against a Discovery. The Queen's bodyguards use Discos around Sandringham - what more proof do you need?

Do consider that a 4x4 is not the cheapest car to run and you should never go to buy one in a snowstorm :)

In a Disco you can drive up a mountain, pull a ship, watch The Derby and turn up at Claridges for dinner later. Not many cars can do that.

PS - you might have guessed that if I had that sort of money at the moment I would buy a Discovery 3

G

·
Disco 3 all the way. We had one which has been followed by two D4s and we love them.

Basically what Mike said - a good one of these is an epic vehicle. Can go anywhere and you can also take it anywhere I.e. it's tough but posh.

Suggest that if you're serious about one you go and take a look around the excellent disco3.co.uk forums to work out what to look for as they can go wrong and fixes are not always cheap.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would second or third a Disco. Had one and loved it.

I currently pull the horsebox with a LWB Isuzu Trooper - it's never missed a beat in over 5 years. However, it is very very agricultural compared to the Disco.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
You dont actually say what you want it for, but if you want practicality, 7 properly usable seats (and still retain some vestige of luggage space) and dont care too much for refinement then it's Volvo XC90 all the way.

We went through the whole lot a couple of years back (Q7, Disco, Mercs, Volvo, VW) and the only one that ticked all the boxes was the Volvo. But we knew our overrding requirement was interior space as we cart around 4 kids, 2 adults and associated buggies/bags etc.

The Disco is a lovely motor, but with all 7 seats up you carry your luggage on your lap.

XC90 dashboard/switches and engine are pretty agricultural tho compared to the others in the list....

Q7 was most disappointing. Externally it's the size of a block of flats. Internally it feels like a Mini.

We didnt look at a Range Rover TBH - but for 10k you probably wont be either.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
The "why" question is important.

Big 4x4s are pretty pants really - and I say that as the owner of one. Hugely compromised handling, epic fuel consumption, expensive, heavy etc etc.

Do you want room, or do you actually have a need for 4x4? IMO the only time you need 4WD is if you:

1) have > 400 HP, and thus have a traction problem
2) feel the need to drive over muddy fields

If you want to tow moderately large things, you just need heavy, not 4x4. If you want to tow massive things (3.5 tonnes) then yes, you need a pretty gnarly 4x4 to get the weight legal.

On the road, it confers no advantage really. Even in the snow, my tool of choice was a 156 with winter tyres - I left the (very well equipped) Land Rover at home.

On the 4x4 list, I would add an X5. I hate the look of them, but a friend regularly carts 5 children and 2 adults around in one and loves it.

If you can get rid of the 4x4 requirement, then that adds a whole load of practical (and cheap) MPVs and estate cars.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
For image and the car itself, I'd want a disco, but the reliability issues my brother-in-law's had make my freelander look reliable.

My dad's got a grand Cherokee with the merc diesel and it's far better value than the disco, although it doesn't have the seven seats. I rate it very highly.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the reason i need a 4x4 is

1) carrying 2 kids and 2 2 adults plus bags and bots and bobs etc
2) quite often we go for family excursions where my parents come along with us so a 7 seater would save us taking two cars
3) I live in a flood prone/ snow zone! Approx 8/10 weeks of the year water/snow levels are high meaning I need to take a 10 mile detour a work!
4 ) i've always fancied one :)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Sounds like 4) is your major motivation as you don't necessarily need a 4x4 to take care of the other things!

I reckon a Volvo xc90 would probably do you.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I did think of adding the Volvo as a possible, but it really doesn't compare in class to the Disco 3 no matter how capable it is. The Volvo is the one you use to take Bunty down to the stables every evening. :lol:
The parking valet at Claridges, who carefully parked a Discovery 3 five minutes ago, looks at your stationary Volvo and says, "What? Seriously?" (If you turn up in a Jeep he will point out that there is an NCP car park just round the corner about 1/4 mile away which can take high vehicles)

Part of 4x4 ownership, rightly or wrongly, is public perception.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
True enough, but personally, I'm more bothered about practicality than perception.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I did think of adding the Volvo as a possible, but it really doesn't compare in class to the Disco 3 no matter how capable it is. The Volvo is the one you use to take Bunty down to the stables every evening. :lol:
The parking valet at Claridges, who carefully parked a Discovery 3 five minutes ago, looks at your stationary Volvo and says, "What? Seriously?" (If you turn up in a Jeep he will point out that there is an NCP car park just round the corner about 1/4 mile away which can take high vehicles)

Part of 4x4 ownership, rightly or wrongly, is public perception.
I wouldn't have said XC90 was in that category (although as an owner of one I probably am not totally impartial)...

Valet parkers and SUV 4wd would probably go:

Class A (Owned by WAGs, Arabs and nouveau riche):

Proper Range Rovers (any age)
Evoque
Merc G
Q7
Cayenne

Class B (Owned by normal humans who carry loads and get swayed by adverts):

Merc M
Disco
X5
XC90
VW Toerag
Big Japanese ones (Landcruisers, Troopers, Shoguns)

Class C (Owned by normal people who carry slightly smaller loads and like a bargain):

Jeep/Ford
Freelander
Quashquaiaiai
CRV
RAV4

Class D (Owned by Lord knows who but you do see 'em):

Collection of random SE Asian makes (Ssangyong, Kias, Hyundais, Protons etc)

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
We have an XC90 and it has been a brilliant family car. Very reliable, fairly frugal, and very robust. Kids love it and it is extremely practical and easy to live with. These are the good points:

- low level windows so the kids can see out and really good all round visibility;
- all rear seats move back and forth independently;
- even with all 7 seats up there is decent boot space;
- manages 35 mpg - not bad for a big heavy car;
- excellent in snow with winter tyres fitted (better than my Defender!);
- very reliable;
- get one with the side steps and roof bars - and in a dark colour - they can look surprisingly good;
- split tailgate, so kids can sit on for changing wellies/nappies!
- easy to drive (auto/geartronic), easy to park, good turning circle.

Weak points:

- injectors (but same as all diesels these days);
- rear wheel bearings (but easy to change as single units);
- intercooler pipework corrodes (again not massive job to fix).

I really cannot recommend them enough. At least make sure it is on your list and go and test drive one. Your family will love you for it, plus I would say that they are a better class than the Discos. Its where the smart money goes......and every yummy mummy in Berkshire will agree with that!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts