Alfa Romeo Forum banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Typos1 clearly you are out of your depth and have no idea what I am saying.
This thread is very much in cloud cuckoo land rather than real engineering.
And I would say you are firmly there with your last stupid comment.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Chaps, chaps, please. Lets focus our efforts on the task at hand. ;)

I think Acab has quite a bit of experience. Maybe he wouldn't sacrifice a Busso if he didn't have a plan. Or maybe he had a broken Busso and is just seeing what's possible and trying some things.

The fact is he didn't explain himself very much. He just sent me these same photos, said it was the Busso and said that maybe if I made a custom sump. I'm not even sure he is pursuing this. Like I said maybe he is just trying things because he can.

But he was the only guy I ever saw who actually did more than just talking and built a working Q4 GT. So he is a clever person. I wouldn't doubt him. But like I said, who's to say he is even trying and is interested. Maybe just messing around and trying things.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On a different note, if the transfer case is the problem, and the transfer case is a separated part, couldn't it be placed somehow a little further from the gearbox to clear the sump/crank case without cutting? Perhaps using some sort of joint?

And back to the 164 Q4 box, couldn't a torsen diff with the correct gearing just be placed in the middle of the car, leading to the 156 Q4 rear suspension and diff? So in between the 164 gearbox and the 156 rear diff.

Some say using the 164 Q4 box is probably a bad idea because parts are rare and even if it worked, if it broke you would probably be out of luck to find parts to repair it. But that very same 164 gearbox is for sale by that seller for years now. I guess if the gearbox did break that often it would have sold long ago?

·
Registered
229 Posts
My comments are based on practical experience with welding cast aluminium, including using methods that could not be utilised here.The Welding Institute are global welding experts based in the UK, and who hold many patents on welding. They could not successfully weld cast aluminium by MIG or TIG methods.A process called friction stir welding works, however the equipment to achieve this is beyond the scope of 99.9% of people. Outsourcing aluminium casting welding of this nature is not easy. I have tried and not succeeded economically.

·
Registered
266 Posts
We will have to wait for Acab to come in again and say what he is doing with it. Till then it is pointless to speculate.

But maybe you can jump in with all your expertise and practical experience in engineering and join the discussion of making the Busso AWD?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Typos1 clearly you are out of your depth and have no idea what I am saying.
This thread is very much in cloud cuckoo land rather than real engineering.
And I would say you are firmly there with your last stupid comment.
krisp, you clearly havent bothered to even read the thread - we all know why a Busso Q4 would not work, but acab thinks he can make it work and rather than be rude, negative, derogatory and dismissive about it, I think we should at least see what his solution is before being rude, negative, derogatory and dismissive. Its nothing to do with "real engineering", it just basic human decency really.

My comments are based on practical experience with welding cast aluminium, including using methods that could not be utilised here.The Welding Institute are global welding experts based in the UK, and who hold many patents on welding. They could not successfully weld cast aluminium by MIG or TIG methods.A process called friction stir welding works, however the equipment to achieve this is beyond the scope of 99.9% of people. Outsourcing aluminium casting welding of this nature is not easy. I have tried and not succeeded economically.
Youre the only person who mentioned welding, acab didnt, I didnt, nor did NicoR, you remember the old adage about assumptions making an ASS out of ME and U ? Youve basically come along, made an assumption based on nothing and created a negative atmosphere in the thread, this is known as trolling, its not like youve apologized or backed down. I suggested he might have another, "outside the box" solution, have the decency to wait until you know what it is before being so negative and dismissive.

And as NicoR says - acab is the ONLY ONE who has converted a GT to a Q4. We all knew it was theoretically possible, but hes the only one who has got a donor car, stripped it, done the conversion and told us all the differences between the 156 Q4 and non Q4s and how its done, all with photos. Not only that, hes also changed the engine to a TBi unit, something else no one else had done before. So forgive me if I give the guy some credit when I hear that hes going to attempt something previously thought impossible - fitting a Busso to a Q4 car, against some random guy with an attitude who comes on and starts dissing the whole thing without even knowing how he plans to do it.

On a different note, if the transfer case is the problem, and the transfer case is a separated part, couldn't it be placed . . .
I ve got a suggestion where it could be placed, not sure I can write it here though :)

On a different note, if the transfer case is the problem, and the transfer case is a separated part, couldn't it be placed somehow a little further from the gearbox to clear the sump/crank case without cutting? Perhaps using some sort of joint?

And back to the 164 Q4 box, couldn't a torsen diff with the correct gearing just be placed in the middle of the car, leading to the 156 Q4 rear suspension and diff? So in between the 164 gearbox and the 156 rear diff.

Some say using the 164 Q4 box is probably a bad idea because parts are rare and even if it worked, if it broke you would probably be out of luck to find parts to repair it. But that very same 164 gearbox is for sale by that seller for years now. I guess if the gearbox did break that often it would have sold long ago?
Seriously though, yeah, thats what I was thinking, move it, space it out, remove it and use another one from something else. Still not keen on the 164 Q4 idea though.

·
Registered
266 Posts
But why? The 164 box is made to mount right on the Busso. No cutting no fuzz. To me after seeing all the trouble to make the 156 box fit and having to even cut the crank case, solving how to get the 164 box to talk to the 156 rear seems somehow easier.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Cos the 156 Q4 has the central diff integral with the gearbox and the 164 Q4 integral with the rear diff, I reckon it makes it too complex, then youve got the rarity and expense of the 164 box, if you did it this way were would you put the centre diff ?

A standard 156 Busso box with a bespoke transfer case or one from an entirely different vehicle could work, although its the transfer case that in the way, not the integral centre diff so that may make it more complex, I m not sure the design is one tat would allow the separeing of teh centere diff and transfer bio, but I could be wrong, I m sure I have pics somewhere. And again where would you put the centre diff ?

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Fingers crossed it is still as strong afterwards!

Are you going to turbo this one as well @acab ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sorry guys. I hate V6 :D
And dont ask me why. Fotos of my friend V6
For me - this conversion too expensive, i can help only and consult what to do

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Well your friend is not the only one who wants V6 Q4, there are quite a few in this thread, personally I d be happy with JTD twin turbo Q4. :)

So he welded it or brazed it ?

And you still have GT TBi Q4 ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
So the welding is possible! Good going Acab.

Yes, I'm definitely interested in a V6 Q4. Busso that is.

So you think this is the simplest way Acab? What about using the 164 Q4 gearbox instead? I know it's much more expensive and difficult to find. But it would fit the V6 without any cutting.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Surely theres no need for a 164 gearbox with this mod to the Busso as it now clears the transfer box ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Surely theres no need for a 164 gearbox with this mod to the Busso as it now clears the transfer box ?
Of course. But you have to cut the engine. I was asking about the 164 as an alternative to cutting the engine. To me at least, since the 164 is a direct bolt on, it seems simpler and safer than cutting and welding the engine?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Yes but you then have to find somewhere to put a centre diff and you gotta hope the 90s front box plays nicely with whatever centre diff you use and the noughties rear diff . . .

·
Registered
266 Posts
What 90s rear diff?

And doesn't it still sound easier and safer than cutting and welding the engine?

A gear box is a gearbox though. I don't see the problem with the 164's being a 90's box. The 916 is a 90s car and the 156 too. More of a problem would be a modern gearbox because of all the electronics. As far as I know the 164 is a purely mechanical box.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I didnt say 90s rear diff, I said 90s front box, I should have said 80s really cos thats when it was developed for the Q4.

I didnt think it was just the 164 box, isnt there a transfer box in it too ?

Where are you gonna put the centre diff ??

·
Registered
266 Posts
LOL. I read it on my phone and in a hurry and read nineties rear diff when you actually said noughties rear diff. Sorry.

I think the 164 Q4 gearbox was developed in the 90s.

Not that it would matter. I don't think it makes any difference as it's mechanical. Look at the T56 gearbox, which was developed around the same time as the 164 Q4 and was used in sports cars such as the Corvette and Aston Martins all the way up to the late 2000s. A manual gearbox is a manual gearbox. ;)

As far as I understand, the 164 Q4 transferbox is off to the side of the gearbox. If by transfer case you mean the power take off port for the prop shaft.

Instead of a mid diff, it uses a viscous coupling system, which is electronically controlled. So it's better to replace that with something mechanical to control the split anyway, like what the 156 Q4 has. And the viscous coupling is at the rear with the torsen rear diff.

So as far as where to put the a mid diff, what about in the middle? I think a better question is, which mid diff to use. :)

141 - 160 of 191 Posts