Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family member is considering getting either a 4C coupe or Abarth Biposto to use occasionally as a weekend toy. He wants something that won't depreciate too much over the long term (he would maybe do 1500km's a year).

What do you guys think would be more entertaining and have a better future resale value?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
A Porsche.
None of the above, not even the Porsche.

You buy these cars to drive them or you buy something else as an investment.

It's sad to say, not even a Giulia will be an investment in the short term. Over longer terms, like 20 years long, things will definitely change.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The older Porsche's appreciate Ian. If you want an investment alfa you'll have to go old school, 3.0 GTV, Junior, Spider etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The older Porsche's appreciate Ian. If you want an investment alfa you'll have to go old school, 3.0 GTV, Junior, Spider etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
So do older Alfas. But the point is how much older. I did mention 20 years. For Porsches it seems the same time span, and then only on specific models.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
if its younger than 25 years it isint going to be sound financially.

options are an air cooled Porsche (good as they are pretty simple and reliable even at age), Ferrari 308, maybe a 328 depending on budget. maybe a Lancia Delta Integrale. Or find a factory 116 3.0 GTV.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
A family member is considering getting either a 4C coupe or Abarth Biposto to use occasionally as a weekend toy. He wants something that won't depreciate too much over the long term (he would maybe do 1500km's a year).

What do you guys think would be more entertaining and have a better future resale value?
Marc, the topic says investment, but the OP wording talk about limiting resale losses... Which is it?

There are VERY limited sports cars that can truly classify as investment cars... A pristine GTV 3.0 is an investment car, but honestly... it is not a sports car... well you won't drive it like a sports car if you want to maintain its investment value

If you just want to limit the losses over the period of ownership, then the 4C LE would have been in that bracket if you bought from new (well some people made profit) I think a 4C SE will loose more over its life than a Biposto, but the Biposto will still be hard to sell, their market is limited - personally I will not buy it.

The only newish sports cars that to not loose much value and is in a similar price bracket as the options mentioned are 911 style Porsche's. The Boxters / Caymans loose value. Maserati GranTurismo could be a good option... Most Ferrari's and Lamborghini's don't loose much value either, but that is in another price bracket all together

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
A 4C Launch edition would have been a good bet. If they have many years to wait a Biposto will make them money. But selling it will be hard as Gertie mentioned. The buyers for them are very limited.

4C standard edition will lose more than a Biposto.

I made money on my 4C LE. Car in concept is excellent. Execution not so much. The crazy behavior of the front end of that car eventually worked on my nerves so much that I sold it. Felt like the 4C was driving you and not you driving it.

But make no mistake the Biposto is hard core and the ride pretty tiring.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well I would look for a Cayman GT4 if you can find one. That's a cast iron investment and wont ever loose money in my opinion. The problem is finding one....

4C's will find their market at R450-R500k in 5 years time.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I also think a Maserati GT would retain the value, especially if the rand deteriorate to a point that a new Maserati will cost R3mil. Also a junior or spider will also gain in the future.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
I know what it is. Shows that it's not much of an investment. 2015 models at 820k

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well I would look for a Cayman GT4 if you can find one. That's a cast iron investment and wont ever loose money in my opinion. The problem is finding one....
+1. I had a drive in a GT4 in the UK a couple of weeks ago. Stunning car and future classic. Last and best of the 6 cylinder Caymans.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I know what it is. Shows that it's not much of an investment. 2015 models at 820k
No argument from me. 4C's will be around R400k-R500k in the next three years of that I am fairly certain.

Maserati is a brave bet, as a value buy yes the early GT's are a good idea but again I don't see the values holding, primarily because of the cost to run and also due to brand perception.

Realistically if you want a car you can drive and not loose too much a 911 is probably the best bet.

(pains me to say that)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I always say credit where credit is due.
Porsche is the most successfull manufacturer when it comes to racing - some might argue of course.

Their road cars are proper reliable and can be used as an everyday with no issues - so
investing in a Porsche would be smarter than the likes of Alfa and Masser.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have a friend who buys a new (to him) 911 every second year. He always goes for a good spec one year old car or demo. He has in the past ten years in other words had 5 911s. Up till now he has never lost any money on these deals. The 911 resale values seem to keep more that pace with the depreciation and inflation.. Always a safe purchase (NOTE: if motorplan is included) and as already said, a decent daily drive as well.

Reactions: Avi and ArthurB

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Buy a Golf 7R and dont drive it...sadly this is the truth.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts