Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4Cs are being recalled in Europe and will probably rolled out to SA pretty soon.

New gearbox and engine mapping and cruise control update. And a new set of front shock absorbers. This is to address the massive tram lining issues.

Cant wait to try a before and after.

·
Registered
339 Posts
4Cs are being recalled in Europe and will probably rolled out to SA pretty soon.

New gearbox and engine mapping and cruise control update. And a new set of front shock absorbers. This is to address the massive tram lining issues.

Cant wait to try a before and after.
You are probably the first person to ever be excited about a recall.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I was expecting the tram lining issue to be adressed at some point. Good to hear. Hopefully improves the issue.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Not a recall as such, but rather a service update. Generally a recall is to fix a dangerous issue like the Toyota issues. An update is generally either newer software or hardware to improve the current situation. In this case it is both.

It is sad to note that the 4C will not be re-engineered to comply with the new US regulations for curtain airbags. That means Alfa Romeo will lose the US market for the 4C and they could hopefully catch up with the rest of the world's demand before people hurry off to buy themselves a Cayman GTS.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ian you clearly have not driven a 4C to know just how dangerously it tramlines. Its so bad it can easily lead to serious crashes...

·
Registered
93 Posts
And without powersteering, you are going to need arms of steel and reflexes of a cat to catch it.

Was at Sandown CC this morning.

3 4C there. One is in for the PDI and one waiting to go in for PDI. One waiting for the owner to collect. Apparently a 71 year old female according to the sales guy. Collectors item??

Hopefully, they are doing the upgrades to these as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hmmm, my car also does a fair bit of tramlining...

·
Registered
454 Posts
oh and pro nutro will solve the arms of steel problem

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steering is not heavy when car is on the move.

In fact at speed the nose feels to light and floats around a lot.. Front end is perhaps 50kgs to light.

But back to the topic at hand.

ARSA will inform 4C buyers in the next two weeks about this recall for the suspension improvements. I for one hope it takes some of the nervousness away from the car!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Perhaps the suspension is set up for the track from the factory?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
The 4C will always feel light in the front end because there is nothing there and the car weighs nothing anyway, and has no power steering. But to correct the tramlining should be easy. We should just hope it takes nothing away from it's current handling abilities.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Pogea car has KWsuspension and he says it sorted the tramlining issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Those 4C's at Sandown wasn't in for the upgrades/recall. I stopped by Sandown yesterday to ask about it, and tell them to let me know updates about it. They said they have no clue about it, and doubts that there will be one. Not surprising that the agents know nothing about whats going on with Alfa. Either HQ isn't emailing the agents, or they don't bother looking at the emails?

The drive home was amazing! :D looked on the clock at it was 250,2 km. So i put it into dynamic and had a blast then when i put it into race mode! it was something else! Words cannot describe it!

The only problem with the 4C is that all you want to do is drive it, you don't want to work or eat or sleep :D simply amazing! the paddle shifting is already incredible, i can only imagine what it will be like after the upgrade.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those 4C's at Sandown wasn't in for the upgrades/recall. I stopped by Sandown yesterday to ask about it, and tell them to let me know updates about it. They said they have no clue about it, and doubts that there will be one. Not surprising that the agents know nothing about whats going on with Alfa. Either HQ isn't emailing the agents, or they don't bother looking at the emails?

The drive home was amazing!
looked on the clock at it was 250,2 km. So i put it into dynamic and had a blast then when i put it into race mode! it was something else! Words cannot describe it!

The only problem with the 4C is that all you want to do is drive it, you don't want to work or eat or sleep
simply amazing! the paddle shifting is already incredible, i can only imagine what it will be like after the upgrade.
RomeoG dealers in SA dont know about it yet. 4C owners gets informed via head office and not the dealers. Head office will arrange with 4C owners where to take their cars to get upgrades installed.

We in SA will only hear from HQ in the next 2 weeks or so. And the parts for the upgrades have been shipped to SA. First car scheduled for the upgrades will get it installed in September only.

Have fun with the 4C in Race. Rear steps out pretty easily in Race :)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
what does Race mode do differently to Dynamic mode?

this stands to reason thst the GQV Euro 6 MED17 ecu can also have this Race mode?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what does Race mode do differently to Dynamic mode?

this stands to reason thst the GQV Euro 6 MED17 ecu can also have this Race mode?
Gearbox mapping is different (car pulls you around a bit more when changing gears) and traction is switched off completely (not recommended on bumpy roads).

And your TFT is nice yellow colour.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Problem is when you set up cars for fast track driving its far from ideal on badly rutted roads . I nearly broke my thumb on race car when I was very casually driving it to Zwartkops before they resurfaced the road just before the entrance . Some of you might remember how rutted that road was as you crossed the river with base on right side . Point is when you scrub radius that's so far out from offset rims , major castor angles ( kingpin angles )no flex in side walls of tyres either from being slicks or low profile - you gonna get tramlining . Each of those items can add to the problem as the weight of car forces changes of direction in steering depending right from kingpin angle trying to be in vertical position . You could spend hours making small adjustments to get it right but you will loose on the track . Easiest correction is to changing damping rates which you say alfa has done . I know guys who had Tuscans and those were horrendous originally but different damping helped enormously .
My 164 on Konis with 17" and 35 profile was diabolical . As the one tyre was flexing and turning on a rut you would naturally correct with slight steering change which could be over correction with the other tyre that was not on a rut line - while this is all on a straight road at 130km/h through the Karoo .
Definitely think Alfa will sort that issue out on 4c quickly just by damping .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts