Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
That's very impressive. I suspect he's quite a talented engineer. Losing that amount of weight without losing anything is very clever.

·
Registered
14,794 Posts
El Reg is starting to do better motoring pieces than the actual motoring press. :lol:
The mainstream motoring press have their hands full making up reasons why the VW Golf and Porsche 911 are brilliant. You can't expect them to get involved in this sort of thing.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I don't know. ol' Lewis has some good views on UK military waste spending, Professor Feynman. ;)
As an ex-soldier that's perhaps the only subject he's qualified to write about. When he gets deeper into science and engineering he becomes so blinkered by his own prejudice and agenda there's no semblance of balance; I can tell from the title exactly what the rest of the article is going to be. I've got to be pretty bored to read his stuff these days.

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Bof?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Old cars often used the same gauge of wiring for everything, regardless of load, plus the wiring was centrally switched, so everything needed to be attached to its own cable.

Modern cars use multiplexed wiring, which is similar in concept to the what was done in this article, except that instead of using one wire of a ribbon cable to control each lamp, the signalling for all of the devices is carried on a single wire using CANbus messaging.

@Tata, BMW's higher-end active suspension systems already use fibre-optic transfer. But as a weight-saver, aluminium wire is actually lighter than plastic fibre, and much lighter than glass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts