Alfa Romeo Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
The 2.4 is well known for not being great on fuel.

They do drive well though, but being poor on fuel sort of defeats the object of having on.

Alfa diesels tend to go well and are reliable, but the 159 and Giulietta generations they are a tad thirsty and relatively unrefined.
Aren't the newer "Alfa" diesels actually GM engines? GM have never made market leading oil burners in the economy stakes.

Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
Good post.....but you need to compare like with like....in the same way I compared a 159 to a 159, if you compare a new turbo petrol to the latest dervs its still a big step up in mpg.
Obviously some just dont like dervs....but this thread is just about the mpg.....and dervs are still markedly more economical (miles per pound wise) than petrol model. Modern 4 cyl diesels sound ok....even my 159 2.0 is pretty much silent except when stone cold.....but that's way off topic and been discussed to death!! I find it hard to believe that you average anything like the 43 or so I get on the commute or the 50 plus I get on a longer journey in a 230 horse Golf.

Registered
Had my 170 2.0 JTDm since last December - done just over 8K miles in it (we have other vehicles) and its now just short of 130K miles overall. I (rather sadly) record the "brim to brim" mpg on each fill - usually between 45-55 litres, and the mpg per tankful has varied between 34 and 48, most typically being between 43-46mpg, depending on how much is local (sub-15 mile journey), and longer distance runs. I seldom drive in anything other than N mode, but don't generally drive in consciously fuel-saving mode.

My previous 159 2.0 JTDm wagon gave similar figures (surprising as it felt heavier) although on one run when I was tailing my mate who was pulling the race car with his Sprinter, so cruising at 55 - 60 mph, my dash display said I was averaging 75mpg.......;)

Reactions: RJK01

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If anyone else is suffering with lack of power or poor MPG and has tried the usual MAF, MAP, filters, EGR route - this may be of interest

The EGR cooler vacuum valve had given up the ghost on mine and was causing boost issues!

Can finally enjoy Our Alfa again!

Thanks for all that helped

41 - 47 of 47 Posts