Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
11,065 Posts
Yes Symon you're right - diesel will soon be uneconomical financially which is a step backwards. Soon my 30mpg petrol sports car will cost the same as my 50 mpg diesel :confused:

Yet tailpipe on dpf equipped G is spotless, tailpipe on petrol car black with deposits. Progess...
You would need a very economical (read slow/gutless) petrol or a bad derv for that to happen. Derv is only about 15% more than petrol....and most dervs do well over 15% better MPG that a petrol with the same power. My 159 2.0 JTDm does about 50% more mpg that a similar powered 159 2.2 petrol.

· Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
11,065 Posts
Good post.....but you need to compare like with like....in the same way I compared a 159 to a 159, if you compare a new turbo petrol to the latest dervs its still a big step up in mpg.
Obviously some just dont like dervs....but this thread is just about the mpg.....and dervs are still markedly more economical (miles per pound wise) than petrol model. Modern 4 cyl diesels sound ok....even my 159 2.0 is pretty much silent except when stone cold.....but that's way off topic and been discussed to death!! I find it hard to believe that you average anything like the 43 or so I get on the commute or the 50 plus I get on a longer journey in a 230 horse Golf.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts