Alfa Romeo Forum banner

40 MPG 😬

1267 46
Hi guys

Multiple Alfa owner - 1st time poster ✋

Picked up a 2.0 G yesterday - 150 mile drive home, almost entirely motorway gave Me 49 MPG driving like an absolute nun which I wasn't hugely impressed with.

Today mix of motorway and town and I can't get it above 40ish - again this is absolute feather touch driving in Natural mode.

Our previous heavy old 159 hit mid 50s on motorway travels, the 147s similar being absolutely belted (granted it's way lighter but still....)

Performance seems to be there - there's no hesitation across the range.

Car had full service this year according to paperwork so filters, etc should be fresh..
I've unplugged the MAF to see if he was playing silly buggers but not really seen much difference.

I'll try an EGR blank as that was an issue with economy on a previous car

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance

X
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the 1.6 JTDM,motorway miles at speed limit is 56 MPG,mix of both is 42 MPG,i have installed an EGR restrictor plate with 8mm hole,have noticed a very slight improvement,i don't think you can just blank the EGR without getting it mapped out,could be wrong?
Probably will need mapping out bud I'd imagine - ah so frustrating, I should've read a few more reviews - if I know I'd be hitting low 40s I probably would've opted for another 147/159/mito 😬

Seems to be a real mixed bag - facebook group I searched for are claiming between 40 and 55

I'll give a few things a try and if I hit a dead end I think I'll have to have a re think

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
140, 150, 170, 175?

Have had over 78 MPG out of my 170 when really trying. High 60s when keeping up with traffic, 55 when no motorways.
That gives Me hope! That's exactly the sort of figures I was expecting.

I cover thousands of miles a month and am a bit of a nerd at seeing how many miles I can eek out - don't get Me wrong 90% of the time I drive in a "spirited" way hence Me opting for the 170.

Any ideas where I can start to check where the issue may be?

Thanks again

· Registered
900 Posts
The official MPG is 60mpg. I get that on the computer if I sit at 60mph in 6th gear on the flat. Between 50 and 60 for motorway driving seems normal. I would check the air filter, nice pleasant job !

78 mpg ? Was that coming down out of the mountains ! I've never seen a car that returns more than the official figures, anyone ?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The official MPG is 60mpg. I get that on the computer if I sit at 60mph in 6th gear on the flat. Between 50 and 60 for motorway driving seems normal. I would check the air filter, nice pleasant job !
Absolutely granny'd it along the motorway this morning... 42 mpg 🙄

It's allegedly had full service in the summer but I think going to need to have a good look Myself

· Registered
120 Posts
Could be worse, my petrol 170 has never seen over 37mpg. It's usually around 29mpg, I'm just glad I don't have to drive in to the office anymore, it would bloody bankrupt me at £1.79/l of E5
take that lead boot off ;).... i average 41mpg or 39mpg with the AC on ... mixture of town, country roads with the occassional city trip.
2012 MA 170 with 73K on the clock

· Registered
42,625 Posts
The best we have ever got on our 170 is 52mpg. Mixed dirving normally averages about 43-44mpg.

On a real cold day, especially with the heater on the car takes ages to get up to temperature, and on a shorter tip you can easily get less than 40mpg.

The car is totally standard.

They are not especially great on fuel for a 2.0 diesel.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The best we have ever got on our 170 is 52mpg. Mixed dirving normally averages about 43-44mpg.

On a real cold day, especially with the heater on the car takes ages to get up to temperature, and on a shorter tip you can easily get less than 40mpg.

The car is totally standard.

They are not especially great on fuel for a 2.0 diesel.

Aggh don't say that 😅

Could be a bit of a deal breaker for Me.. we cover hundreds of miles a month and I bitched for 3 months about how uneconomical our beemer was and we should swap for a G 😬

The 1.6 jtdm we had was an absolute peach in teams of power and economy, granted it was in a way lighter car but I figured the 2.0 would suit the G well and return around 50s

· Registered
42,625 Posts
Aggh don't say that 😅

Could be a bit of a deal breaker for Me.. we cover hundreds of miles a month and I bitched for 3 months about how uneconomical our beemer was and we should swap for a G 😬

The 1.6 jtdm we had was an absolute peach in teams of power and economy, granted it was in a way lighter car but I figured the 2.0 would suit the G well and return around 50s
You may get a better MPG with a remap and EGR delete, but it will only be a couple of MPG at best.

I had a N57 engined 330d with manual gearbox and it was better on fuel then the G.

Which BMW did you have before?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may get a better MPG with a remap and EGR delete, but it will only be a couple of MPG at best.

I had a N57 engined 330d with manual gearbox and it was better on fuel then the G.

Which BMW did you have before?
A remapped 118d with an N47 - the chain eater

Was turning out 42-45 ish on a run from London to Devon - every diesel we've owned has fit 50s minimum on that run even with My eager right foot

Honestly hoping the garage finds something amiss and the G can hit 50s or I'm in for some mega humble pie and 1.3 Mito 😅

· Registered
42,625 Posts
A remapped 118d with an N47 - the chain eater

Was turning out 42-45 ish on a run from London to Devon - every diesel we've owned has fit 50s minimum on that run even with My eager right foot

Honestly hoping the garage finds something amiss and the G can hit 50s or I'm in for some mega humble pie and 1.3 Mito 😅
I had a 120d with N47 and a remap. I had no issues with the chain and it would do 50-55mpg no trouble on a run.

The engine was more refined than on the G as well.

If you want fuel economy, a 1.6 VAG car like Skoda Octavia will do well over 60mpg. My brother has one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts