Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes. My Sportwagon Tbi got to 40.9 MPG today. I have the Trip B set to start again every journey. Stopped at Clacketts Lane on the M25 and cruised anti clockwise round to the Dartford Tunnel. When I looked down at the readings at the Toll Booth it registered 18 Miles and 40.9.

It's a record for me. The traffic was heavy but didn't stop so it was probably between 60 and 70 MPH. Perhaps also a tail wind today with a slight rain spray. It had fresh tank of BP Unleaded and the front Pirellis were at 38 PSI.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have found that the petrol I use makes a huge difference. I was seeing 32/34 mpg up and down the M1 at around 70/80mph. Then I filled up at an Adsa store.... never got above 22mpg!
Only returned to usual mpg once I had used that fuel up and refilled with decent stuff. Staying away from the tatty supermarket fuel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do not push it at all. She is remapped and dpf removed. In town driving I 29 to 31, no complaints whatsoever about her.
Nefe we're talking about the TBi engine here. Obviously diesel engines are going to get considerably better fuel economy!

Old Engineer, that is some achievement. I have seen my TBi touch 40mpg on a motorway journey, but never average that for a whole journey. Round town I normally get about 17mpg :eek:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With 40.9 MPG I can understand Nefe 159 thinking it was a diesel.
Perhaps I had a bigger tail wind than I thought. If it happens again I'll get the camera out.

Having done the return journey around the M25 but 2 trips into London (190 Miles) the Trip A average is still showing a shade over 30 MPG and 250 miles of range.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nefe we're talking about the TBi engine here. Obviously diesel engines are going to get considerably better fuel economy!

Old Engineer, that is some achievement. I have seen my TBi touch 40mpg on a motorway journey, but never average that for a whole journey. Round town I normally get about 17mpg :eek:

Appologies for the misunderstanding. :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry Nefe, I was refereeing to Old Engineer...about pushing the car...ie pushing with the engine off to get that MPG out of a TBi !!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure about on the TBi's but on my diesel the dash mpg readout is over optimistic by about 4-5 mpg compared with proper brim-to-brim calculations
Mine is much better. I always check the Brim to Brim at each refuelling before resetting the Trip A and the trip mileage. Mostly 0.7 MPG over optimistic.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Unfortunately I came to this thread just after filling my TBi at a Fina station...:cry:

I've read tales in the past about supermarket fuel being poor quality compared to branded stuff but had done nothing other than cursory checks which showed negligible difference. However having suffered 26mpg from the TBi over the last 18 months I'm motivated enough to try again...

Regardless of driving style, the TBi so far is worse on fuel than the 156 V6 and only marginally better than my 166 3.0 Sportronic. :wow:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Im not sure how you guys afford to drive a car that does 22mpg. I cry if my 1.9 gets below 45mpg. Getting 52mpg at the moment as part of the M27 has 50mph average speed cameras.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts