Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my 156 celebrates it's 4th year in my ownership and as a prezzie I gave it a 72k service this included cam belt, variator,idler, tensioner also needed 2 new front tyres and anti roll bar plus many other items and it was very expensive but worth it as it now feels like a new car, just as well that I plan to keep it for another couple of years.

G

·
Great cars the 156.

I had a JTS just like you except in manual spec which I had for seven years from new.

So much charisma. Great engine note. Fun. Light on its feet. Excellent fuel economy. She did love to drink oil though. :)

Every cent spent keeping her in top spec. was a dollar well spent.

Hope she gives you many more smiles per mile. :thumbs:

·
Registered
224 Posts
The best thing I find about my 156 and my old 156 is that I just seem to fit in it. Both times I have got in one for the first time I just seemed to become part of it (that a bit ghey aint it?).

Mine is currently being treated to a FULL service inc all the belts, water pump, variator n stuff so I am looking forward to getting it back, trying not to think about the cost right now :)

The loan 156 I have got though has 232,000 miles on the clock!!! Can't wait to get mone back :) saying that the loan 156 still felt nice, never driven a manual 156 before though, took me ages to find reverse as I was waiting for some beeps and they never came :)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 156 has now been replaced by a 159 Ti, in passing I would say that it was the most reliable car I have ever owned even in it's Selespeed form it never once let me down, the gearbox could be a bit juddery in heavy traffic but the fast changes and the smoothness of them balanced that out for me. So farewell 156 and lets hope the 159 is just as good.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Had my 156 sportwagon 4 years and its been a gem, no rust , uses no oil, just replaced usual service parts ie
belts variators, wishbones, and radiator = thermostat 2 years ago, its is used daily for carrying tools to work..
Its 10 years old, 55,000 odd miles and immaculate in metallic red, don't want to sell it yet...
No snow here yet, although had a light dusting this morning..

Edit; Dec 2nd spoke too soon, woke up this morning to 6" of lovely white snow, both cars tucked up in garage, will borrow
the misses car until the schools reopen...

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 156 has now been replaced by a 159 Ti, in passing I would say that it was the most reliable car I have ever owned even in it's Selespeed form it never once let me down, the gearbox could be a bit juddery in heavy traffic but the fast changes and the smoothness of them balanced that out for me. So farewell 156 and lets hope the 159 is just as good.
Have just bought a 159TI (2.4 JTDM) 57 plate in red and love it (much more than my original 06 plate 2.4 JTDM 159 which was heavy and thirsty - never more than 35 mpg). The TI does 42 mpg everyday on my 60 mile round trip daily Kent commute along the A20 and part of the M20 (which you might know as a fellow Kent resident!)

But I haven't plucked up the courage to sell my trusty 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon (03 plate with 130,000 faultless miles). A great, great car which is worth more to the family as a reliable second car than any monetary value realisable in a sale. So side by side they sit and good they look! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have just bought a 159TI (2.4 JTDM) 57 plate in red and love it (much more than my original 06 plate 2.4 JTDM 159 which was heavy and thirsty - never more than 35 mpg). The TI does 42 mpg everyday on my 60 mile round trip daily Kent commute along the A20 and part of the M20 (which you might know as a fellow Kent resident!)

:
Often up and down the A20/M20 myself, if I see you I will wave:thumbs:

Glad to see that the MPG will improve,

What milage does it have on the clock?

·
Registered
99 Posts
It does feel special doesn't it!

When your driving around and you spot another alfa, you feel like your part of some special club, I've only seen 3 alfas in the area where I live during the past few weeks and 600 miles of travel but none the same as mine.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've had my 156 V6 for almost 9 years now and it has done 160K miles. I'm seriously considering buying a GT V6 for use as an everyday car, but keeping the 156 as a possible future classic. Maybe get it fully renovated and use it as a weekend fun car? I would be very sad indeed to see it go. I've never kept a car for longer than 3 years before this.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had my 156 V6 for almost 9 years now and it has done 160K miles. I'm seriously considering buying a GT V6 for use as an everyday car, but keeping the 156 as a possible future classic. Maybe get it fully renovated and use it as a weekend fun car? I would be very sad indeed to see it go. I've never kept a car for longer than 3 years before this.
I normally keep my cars for 3 years but I had this 156 for nearly 5 and it was still going well. I had been hankering after a 159ti for some time so something had to give. The new car is great if only this snow would clear then i could get out and go for a drive.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
oooooh so much of this thread rings true with me tooo..........after 4 years of owning a 156 jtd and loving it...we decided to hunt down a gt...but it had to be a good one, and we where not expecting to upgrade till maybe march, but last week we found and bought a gorgeous metalic grey gt that was too good to pass bye.
rather reluctantly the 156 will have to be sold as we dont need both, so its on ebay, hopefully itll go to a good home.
that car as been the best we have ever owned and we still love it..........cannot say that about any other car i have had....four years of fond memories

ahhhhhhhhhh well....... things move on

Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts