Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get my wheels aligned on the front.
I have heard that 4 Wheel laser alignment is best, but how is this different from the wheel alignment devices they just hang over the wheels?

Anyone recomend which of the two to use, or do they give the same result.
Also anyone know what a 1998 2.0TS with sportpack wheel track should be?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Tracking should be 0mm on the front and 3mm toe-in on the back.

In the right hands, either method will work, but in average hands the computerised laser method is probably the one to go for and will likely be quicker.
Saying that, the race cars are setup using string and a steel ruler!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
+1
it's all about the user

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
+2!

I've had a car done on a full computerised rig and it definitely removes SOME of the need for expertise so you're more likely (hopefully) to get a spot on job. It also "knows" what the car should be set to.

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
It also "knows" what the car should be set to.
You still need to ensure they pick the "Sport" settings. If they pick the normal settings it will set toe-out on the front and you will rip through the inner edges of the front tyres in no time.

So not totally idiot proof!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wheels In Motion (google them) are highly recommened on the other car forums i visit. Some people travel the country to take their car to them! Apparently if you phone them up they are usually quite helpful if you are too far from them and often can telll you of a garage near you who has the same setup as theirs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll see what i can get a 4 Wheel Laser set up for. I know my local garage will 'track it' for £15 (but that's just the 'hang over the wheels' tracking kit

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
David C - Sport setting? Mine always gets set to parallel (but then i toe it in a touch cos i prefer the handling that way).

Not doubting you at all, just didn't realise i'd got the option!

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
David C - Sport setting?...Not doubting you at all, just didn't realise i'd got the option!
Sportpack/Veloce front setting was 0mm from mid 1999 and std was 2mm toe-out on the front, but setting the front to 0mm is recommended for all of them.

Problem is that some users of the machine don't bother looking for the "Sport" setting and just use the std. The result is very rapid inner edge wear on the front tyres.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Problem is that some users of the machine don't bother looking for the "Sport" setting and just use the std. The result is very rapid inner edge wear on the front tyres.
Is that the same for the GTA? My front inner edges are FUBAR and the rest of the tyres are not too bad.

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Is that the same for the GTA? My front inner edges are FUBAR and the rest of the tyres are not too bad.
The setting for the GTA is still toe-out on the front. But if it was mine I would set it to 0mm too.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Sportpack/Veloce front setting was 0mm from mid 1999 and std was 2mm toe-out on the front, but setting the front to 0mm is recommended for all of them.

Wow - i'll watch out for that then! On the diesel I can see that bringing tyre life down to 4 or 5K!

Cheers for the info, David...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts