Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son wants to buy a 350Z. They're quicker than my 939 Spider of course. I've beeen shopping for 350Zs with him for a few weeks. Now, what you don't know is that the door handles and centre consoles on them are all scratched. Yup, you just touch them with a fingernail or a ring and this weak paint comes off. So much for Jap build quality.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Are you positive that they are all like that? Not one that was 'tonsed' up for sale after rough treatment, was it by any chance? :confused:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
To be fair if that's all you can find to pick fault at about the cars then yeah, good old jap build quality obviously is prertty damn good :thumbs:

·
Registered
494 Posts
A lot of peeps go to Jap and not because of Reliability... Because they are apparently the best cars for tuning in this day in age....
Il stick with my euro box thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
350Z Scratched!

Are you positive that they are all like that? Not one that was 'tonsed' up for sale after rough treatment, was it by any chance? :confused:
I've looked at a dozen of them and my son has looked at more. All between 03 and 07. They were all scratched more or less. Have a look at one in this age bracket, you'll see what I mean. I even accidentally scratched one myself while test driving. It was so bad anyhow that the owner didn't care. If you find one without scratches on the door handles, it's been driven by a little old lady with cotton gloves or repainted. So that exception would prove the rule.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Italian cars aren't the only ones with really annoying faults.

To be fair if that's all you can find to pick fault at about the cars then yeah, good old jap build quality obviously is prertty damn good :thumbs:
Agreed, but some people think they are always fault free. We found a really annoying little fault, even if it doesn't slow them down. Italian cars aren't the only ones with really annoying faults. That's all.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Agreed, but some people think they are always fault free. We found a really annoying little fault, even if it doesn't slow them down. Italian cars aren't the only ones with really annoying faults. That's all.
Nothing is fault free. Apart from me :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
A good V6 GTV will stay with a 350Z, well at least one of them anyway :lol:
Substantiate?

I've driven one of the late model ones with with 313bhp and I honestly think the GTV wouldn't have a cat in hells chance. Even the first ones with 280 bhp (a 50 bhp gain) would whip the GTVs ass unless the driver was a. inexperienced b. not trying

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
apparently the best cars for tuning in this day in age...

A lot of peeps go to Jap and not because of Reliability... Because they are apparently the best cars for tuning in this day in age....
Good point Kev. I think it gets down to the number of enthusiasts who are prepared to get hold of software and tweek fuel maps themselves, instead of relying on expensive professionals. We don't seem to have the numbers anymore to build up that sort of culture anymore. You need failures to learn from. We are still ok at exhaust and intake mods though.

Il stick with my euro box thanks!
I'll stick with my italian boxes too.
Cheers,
mczero

·
Registered
37,774 Posts
Substantiate?

I've driven one of the late model ones with with 313bhp and I honestly think the GTV wouldn't have a cat in hells chance. Even the first ones with 280 bhp (a 50 bhp gain) would whip the GTVs ass unless the driver was a. inexperienced b. not trying
Agreed, the GTV would loose comfortably, even to the 280bhp version.

·
Vendor
45,830 Posts
I had a chase with one when I had my GTA and I really had to give it everything I had to keep up with him. There was not a lot in it, plus my GTA was on Konis & Eibachs with 4 nearly new F1 asymmetrics & a Q2, I don't think a standard GTV V6 would have a snowball's chance to be honest.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
a/It wasn't me, b/ the was a 280 bhp 350z,c/ the GTV in question has the normal engine/exhaust mods (exhaust,intake etc so probably around 225 bhp)
This was fun between three friends not strangers, prompted by the 350 driver saying "we'll wait for you when we get there". He was very embarrassed to say the least because he was last to arrive.
To clarify,the Alfa went first and arrived second of three cars by virtue of the fact it was too quick to be overtaken by the the Nissan.
To me, you can't say you have blitzed a V6 Alfa or any other car for that matter untill you have for sure. It's no use putting a 20 yard gap in to 70 then backing off when you've hardly used third gear. So I suppose there should be an option C to go on from driver not trying. D.. driver tried failed and gave up. Which is exactly what prompted my thread a few weeks back on high powered diesels. If you are going to give up why bother in the first place. Get yourself a Micra.
Just saying that's all.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
My son wants to buy a 350Z. They're quicker than my 939 Spider of course. I've beeen shopping for 350Zs with him for a few weeks. Now, what you don't know is that the door handles and centre consoles on them are all scratched. Yup, you just touch them with a fingernail or a ring and this weak paint comes off. So much for Jap build quality.
My 97 Alfa Spider's dash is the same. So was that on my F355 (I refinished that one) and intend to do the Spider's sometime.
The F355's, 550's suffered with it from day one. A friend bought new bits still in Ferrari packaging and all sticky. Imagine paying £80k for a new F355 back in 1997 to find a sticky and scratchy dash. No idea how much 550's were.

All the best cars have dodgy dash paint :lol:
350Z's are very nice and very quick motors :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I didn't say I also think the 350Z is an awesome motor :lol: It's on a very short list of cars I would like to own if I couldn't have my Alfa.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My dad has a 350z with the GT pack (lightweight alloys, short shift gearbox etc) and its awesome to drive and the sound is amazing. I've driven it and I've driven a V6 GTV and I'm sorry but the 350z is in a different league, much faster and a much better ride quality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts