Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this done on my GTA, how long does it take to notice a discernable difference to the old 305s which I had? D I need to let them bed in a 100 miles or so before they start to 'bite' more? On the way back from the garage they didn't feel much different although I was conscious of not breaking too hard....

Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
I think you will only notice a bigger breaking kit on higher or more demanding stops than just generally slowing down. After changing my pads and discs to better ones I only notice a real difference when hitting the brakes hardish rather than just slowing down.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I just changed my discs, and the manufacturers recommend at least 200 miles of bedding in by using gentle braking rather than hard full on braking.
I think all/most new brake discs are the same, but i could be wrong

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
It will depend on the bedding-in requirements of the pads.

Different pads have different requirements.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
For "normal" driving you probably wont notice much difference, you need to be braking quite hard..
Of course if you have done braided hoses etc at the same timethe pedal should feel much more informative - and I would highly recommend this.

For hard driving, the new brakes just wont fade, and if you do get them to fade (because you are a maniac :D), then just upgrade the fluid - the standard 330mm discs will cope fine.

Ideally you could upgrade to DS2500's or Performance Friction pads which give awesome stopping power.
These are sort of a doubleedged sword for the smaller 305mm ones for really hard driving (but fine for normal) since they just heat up the smaller discs too quickly but the larger 330mm discs have much better cooling and thermal capacity.

As regards out and out stopping power, max decelleration with the 330mm calipers and oem discs was about 10% more than with the 305mm ones according to my telemetry from track days.
That mightn't sound impressive, but you could brake like that with full confidence hundreds of times with the 330mm brakes, whereas only a small handful of times with the 305mm ones before they fried completely..

For enthusiastic road use the 305mm give sort of a "lucky dip" feeling when approaching a corner when the brakes were already well warm, not an issue with the 330mm :lol:

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
To answer your question - with OEM pads and discs I would take it easy for a couple of days, not essential but thats what I normally did.

After 100 miles for sure, you can stand on them as hard as you want,
and yes you really do press the pedal very hard when you really want to stop the car - you might be suprised how much extra braking there actually is :)

Also from modest speeds like 50mph, the tyres will be the limiting factor, from 90mph or more the power of the brakes is much more readily apparent - the 305mm ones struggled with high speeds in my experience.

Just had this done on my GTA, how long does it take to notice a discernable difference to the old 305s which I had? D I need to let them bed in a 100 miles or so before they start to 'bite' more? On the way back from the garage they didn't feel much different although I was conscious of not breaking too hard....

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I found big different straight after the installation from 330 to 305. I was stopping from 60km/h to 0. I was shocked about the extra stopping power.

I did ask them to renew the brake fuild at the same time so could be part of reason?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys...think I'll give it a few miles and look at changing the brake fluid when I get it serviced next month....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts