Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to start my 33 (Series 3), which I haven't used in about a year :eek:

I bought a new battery for it, and have put some new fuel in. I've also added a lead substitute and octane booster.

I've just sprayed WD 40 in the distributor cap, and also around the spark plugs.

However, it doesn't seem to want to fire up - any ideas?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
All you need is compression, fuel/air, and sparks. You know about the compression, so check at least one plug for over/under fuelling and spark, we used to warm them up sometimes. The fuel pump may not be able to lift the fuel, so find some way of priming the system. In carb engines we used to pour a little fuel down the carb or air filter, so that the engine would fire.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for your replies. I haven't had the plugs out, might give that a go next weekend now.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
My beast always used to flood if I left it alone too long.

Turn the engine over with a full throttle to see if it threatens to start.

If it's been standing for so long, either the beast has flooded or something it needs has gone "off". Check the fuel pump and relays etc.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
433 Posts
keep trying to start it if you smell petrol , your spark is either weak or non existent , if you dont sounds like either dodgy fuel pump or blocked filter, try listening for the sound of the fuel pump while the ignition is on.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps. Thinking about it, I haven't smealt fuel, so it could well be a problem in that area :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Gary Slegg said:
I'm trying to start my 33 (Series 3), which I haven't used :tut: in about a year :tut: :eek:

My 33 16v was always difficult to start if not used for a week or more.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ralf S. said:
Well..?? Did the beast fire?

Ralf S.
:eek: Ermmm, well, I must confess, I've decided to take the easy option and a chap from my local garage is going to have a look at it for me :eek:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the slipperman said:
Shame on you!

;)
:lol: Well, I shall of course be watching what he does, so I can report back as to what the problem actually was ;)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
enri said:
You Have To Work It Out For Yourself

A Cap Of Petrol In The Carby
And Make Sure The Inside Of The Distributor Cap Is Dry
Kill Switch?
It's the IE model I've got, so no carb'. I sprayed WD 40 in the dsizzy cap, and I don't think there is a kill swith. The battery is new too.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
He'll stick a new battery in it, leave the ignition on for a few seconds to prime the injectors, turn it over... and it'll start immediately. :D

Ralf S.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Thinking about it, if the old fuel has "gone off" you may need to pump it though to clear the crappy stuff in the fuel line before it'll fire. I've found that although engines will often run on old fuel, they can be very difficult to start on it.....

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I might see if I can pump some of the old stuff out

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Failing that, bung a couple of gallons of new petrol in there, to boost up the old stuff.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i reckon if its going to start it will start on 1 year old fuel
do you have spark?
what about a cap of fuel into the air intake or via spark plugs holes?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts