Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The spoiler on the s2 33 does it do anything or is it just a big heavy lump of plastic? I only ask this because i've just got a new hatch for my track car, and wondered if it would be better to dump the spoiler or not. Granted it does look better with the wing, but i dont look at my car when i'm driving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I think that the only way it can give any down force is by the weight of it. I might be wrong.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The only this it does it speed up the rusting process of your bootlid where the holes are drilled for it... :p

I think it's purely aesthetic rather than having any aerodynamic value - if anything it probably limits the top speed by creating more drag. :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
33 spoiler....

Would that be the same spoiler they used on the Alfa155 BTCC car???? I gues it actually must be ok at it's job if they wanted to use it on the btcc car. In conjuction with the front splitter.

There is also a raising kit available for the 155 from the dealer that allows you to raise it up into the airflow and adjust the angle of the spoiler.

std spoiler on silverstone and used in btcc

raising kit

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it says that in the owners manual, there's no doubt a basis for it.
Mine needs to stay on the race car then.

I had been wondering in both drag and weight terms whether to remove it.
Sometimes a piece like that sorts the air flow out behind a car and actually relieves one source of drag
If so worth keeping. :)

K

·
0 Posts
33 spoiler....

Would that be the same spoiler they used on the Alfa155 BTCC car???? I gues it actually must be ok at it's job if they wanted to use it on the btcc car. In conjuction with the front splitter.

There is also a raising kit available for the 155 from the dealer that allows you to raise it up into the airflow and adjust the angle of the spoiler.

std spoiler on silverstone and used in btcc

raising kit

John
can remember when the btcc cars had that spoiler, the other teams protested that it was higher than the road cars (not allowed in the rules) but alfa said "no, the road cars have the kits in the boots to raise them" :rolleyes:
the fact that plenty didn't leave the factory with the "kits" in place was lost on the btcc organisation, much to the amusement of the protesting teams :lol:

think thats how it was, if i remember correctly :confused: which doesn't always happen :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
can remember when the btcc cars had that spoiler, the other teams protested that it was higher than the road cars (not allowed in the rules) but alfa said "no, the road cars have the kits in the boots to raise them" :rolleyes:
the fact that plenty didn't leave the factory with the "kits" in place was lost on the btcc organisation, much to the amusement of the protesting teams :lol:

think thats how it was, if i remember correctly :confused: which doesn't always happen :lol:
Kits were in boots (but probs most got lost over time).

In the end they allowed all the other teams to use aero parts (splitter and spoiler) and... let me think.. they still got royally spanked... :cheese::lol:

John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think i might try without the spoiler, I can always put it back on.
I've had a couple of 155's one with and one without. Both driven fast, I couldnt tell the differance. On my Maserati you can feel the back end getting pushed down at 80mph.

·
Registered
725 Posts
In my view, the standard S3 33 spoiler doesn't have the correct aero profile to produce any wothwhile downforce. I think that there is probably benefit to be gained from removing a 4-5kg dead weight carried above and behind the rear axle in handling and braking terms.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
In answer to the original question, yes it prevents the boot opening on the internal release, Alfa never beefed up the spring on the bootlid ! But I "lost" mine on a long Euro trip, it felt much more skittish at high speed, and am convinced it aquaplaned earlier without, I put mine back ASAP. Good luck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
this thread seems to be talking about 2 or 3 spoilers.

the first questions was about an S2 spoiler and many of the answers are about the 155 or S3 spoiler?

i'd imagine a small lip on the boot lid would push the air back just far enough so it couldnt reattach to the back of the car and create drag thus you should be able to go a bit quicker at the top end. it should prevent a bit of lift too but wont create any downforce.

the S3 spoiler has an interesting shape but not really enough to do much at the standard height. but with the lift/tilt kit, i'm sure you could change the action it had on the back of the car. but this kit was never fitted to the 33 so meh.
at the standard height i looks like it does the same job as the S2 lip just with a more interesting shape. no downforce but less drag and a bit of lift reduction.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I always thought the S3 looked good with a spoiler as it followed the lines of the car quite well. I am undecided on the S2 spoiler though.

Also, if you don't have a spoiler, what are the monkeys at the safari parks going to bite into! What do the helpful people who give you a push going to hold onto?

(Last two comments with tongue firmly in cheek):thumbs:

·
Registered
508 Posts
The question is about the kick-up spoiler on the S2, not the series 3 / 155 Silverstone / BTCC etc etc :rolleyes:

I guess if you were running flat out for sustained periods, you might get into worrying about drag vs downforce with it but unless you are going to be heading down to Les Combes at Spa on a regular basis, I doubt whether it would make a massive difference, especially given the rest of the svelte 33's brick-like aerodynamics....

·
Registered
473 Posts

I know the question is about 33 rear spoilers, but the 1994 155 BTCC spoiler controversy Kev talks about above, gives you an answer, see below (coutesy of Touring Car Times to save me typing:lol:):

"The Alfa 155 Silverstone version featured adjustable front and rear spoilers. The road cars were sold with the front spoiler and rear wing retracted. But with a special kit, that was supplied with the cars, the rear wing could be raised a number of centimetres and the front spoiler could be extended forward with supplied rivets. The aerodynamic advantage for the road cars were insignificant, but for the race cars the advantage was very significant.

As Alfa Romeo won the first five races, the other BTCC manufacturers were quick to protest. The controversy culminated during the seventh race of the season at Oulton Park. Alfa Romeo was told by the BTCC organisers to run with the spoilers retracted. But the Italian manufacturer had none of it, claimed that their cars were within the rules and left the track in protest.

The rules were quickly changed: "...manufacturers must indicate the entirely completed position of any adjustable aerodynamic bodywork and will only be allowed to run in this entirely completed position."

Alfa Romeo accepted the rule change and returned to the following round with the rear spoiler retracted but the front spoiler still extended. While the others got closer to the Alfa's after the rule change, Tarquini kept winning races and had a big point gap. Tarquini won the title in style."

In short the rear wing has little effect, but a well set up front splitter has a significant effect, especially on a front wheel drive car.

So get to work on your 33's Veloce splitter:thumbs:

1994 was great year to be an Alfa fan, certainly got Ford and Vauxhall's attenion. Sadly 1995 was a bit of a dissappointment once every one else got splitters and spoilers.

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
401 Posts
:wow::cheese:Being the lucky git I am,I have an S2 and an S3.The S3 looks better without the spoiler because of the rear lights being higher ala 164/75 etc.,whereas my S2 looks NAKED :wow:without her rear spoiler.They wern't fitted to all S2's only the Veloce versions as I am aware.Personal preference accounts for a lot.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts