Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the manual about the 33 as far as flywheel timing markings goes, and was hoping to see a nice "T" for TDC and a mark like this.. "I" at 8 degrees BTDC.. and like this.. "II at 36 degrees BTDC. No such luck, however. I am confused because what I can see with the timing light in the "inspection hole" at idle is a 'circle' about 1cm in Diamater - then about 30 degrees further around is yet another similar circle that can be seen with the timing light from about 3500 RPM onwards...What gives. I have examined the entire flywheel and there is no 'T' mark at all - and no "I" type makes either!

Its a 1989 1.7 IE.

thanks, Jimn~

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
could your timing be 180 degrees out?
let the engine idle and use a flat screwdriver to scrap the flywheel as it spins, make sure you angle the screwdriver so that it will not catch on anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess anything is possible, but the car starts and runs just fine. Although it idles too fast (about 1200 RPM) even with the air control valve on the inlet manifold adjusted all the way in, and the vacuum advance disconnected. Do they ALL have the 'T' mark for TDC??

jimn~

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I have never owned an 8v ie but I think they run on a wasted spark design, the spark occurs when it should on 1 cylinder and also on an opposite cylinder which is on the exhaust stroke, so normally doesn’t make any odds. If the leads are connected the wrong way round i think it will run, i am not sure on the injection timing, whether that fires twice as well. Check the lead orientation compared to others.
I have owned 2 ser 2 1.7 carbs and 2 ser 3 16v, all had T on the flywheel which had to be cleaned off using the screwdriver method though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, BigAl33 - I did find the "T" on the flywheel after a bit more searching.. it was pretty faint, so i put a nice white 'dot' on it! It looks to be in the correct place relative to the circle I can see at idle.

thanks, jim ~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts