Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, I had MOT done to my 33 today.

One think that the MOT guy said was that the ALB valve is frozen.

Didn't even know what an ALB was, so I just nodded, because he said it's no big deal as long as the brakes work...

So I did some research and I have come to a conclusion, that the ALB is sort of ABS system for the back wheels... meaning when the car tilts (less weight in the back wheels) the ALB system reduces breaking power to the back wheels preventing them from locking...?

Am I correct?

Anyone know how to fix the jammed valve so that it works again?

·
Registered
401 Posts
:D The ALB valve,or load sensing valve over here,is activated by the weight transfer of the car under heavy braking.Look on the body of the valve and you should see where it pivot's.Spray this liberally with WD40 or similar and work the pivot back and forth.:thumbs: I didn't think 33's had anti-lock brakes?Ive never seen one!:p Ciao Daz

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will try it...

Having a bit troubles with the clutch pedal today... it hangs loose at the top end and 1st and 2nd gear work even worse than usual ...

but hey, it's all "personality" :D

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The valve is completely jammed... tried to spray half bottle of WD-40 at it and shake/twist/hammer/yell/curse it without any response....

I think I'll just remove it when I do a bigger brake maintenance this month and try to get it to work then (without having to lay under the car to do he work)

Here's some smilies to ease the frustration :wow: :wow: :wow: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed!

Removed the whole valve, along with pipes... Replaced pipes while at it and first soaked the valve over night in phosphoric acid to remove rust and dust (don't worry, I protected the pipe holes) and then soaked it in WD-40 for about 24h...

After all this, the valve started moving with some aid from mr. Hammer. :D

Now it's all back together, but I still need to refill and bleed the system.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Well i think that using WD 40 is a bad idea. One of the DONT's on servicing brakes is using WD 40 to clean calipers as WD40 tends to "dry" all plastic parts and therefore leakage after a while....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where is the ALB located? On the rear calibers or in the engine compartment? And what does it look like? :p It would be perfect with some pictures:D :D :D

... I have some small brake problems with my 33 and it MIGHT be the ALB valve, but I haven't found it yet. So the question is: Is the ALB installed on my 33? :)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ALB is located on the right side of the car, just a bit to the front and above the rear axle...

It's mounted in it's very own little "shell" and 4 brake pipes connect to it.

You can only see it under the car.

(Right side as in looking from the back of the car)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts