Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has just split it's rad (luckily that's all it did) because the fan never cut in. Thought there may be a fault with the temp switch but having hotwired that it still doesn't work. The fuse/relay guide is no use at all and I've tried swapping relays just in case. Anyone know where the feed for the rad fan comes from?? please????

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Remember the fan won't work with the ignition off.
I don't know where the feed comes from, but I just ran power directly to the temperature switch in the radiator (unplugging the mysterious factory power feed). This allows my fan to keep running when I switch off the key, if it needs to.

-Ben

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Do you have a fuse box down by your right shin on the 33?
The rad fan is driven by a relay.

The trick with the temp switch testing is to short out the contacts that go to the temp switch to turn the fan on. Often the relay circuit acts to earth the fan which has a constant live connection rather than to drive power to it.

HTH.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My fusebox is up next to the battery. I've tried shorting across the switch to no avail, I cannot even get a feed either side. The only thing I did spot, was on the opposite side of the heater box there is a white multi-plug containing a heavy black/white wire, I haven't yet tested it but it seems to follow the loom (in plastic conduit) across the top of the engine in the direction of the fan switch. I'll try that next. That multiplug seems to have some mild oxidation on the inner contacts.

Interestingly the car runs at least 10 degrees cooler on this secondhand rad (it's from a 1.7 8v) - the old one feels heavy so must be seriously clogged up anyway. That said, today is reasonably hot but I had the heater on just to keep an eye on the gauge.

At least it seems there has been no lasting damage caused by the overheat yesterday.

Anyway, fed up with it for a bit, going to see what mr MOT thinks of my 155 this afternoon - wish me luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts