Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Putting a DPF back on my Alfatuned 159 as the previous owner took it off - it has taken a fair amount of time to locate one (its a 2.0), but I finally have it so that's a plus! The 'Gus' tune and bypass does offer great performance and economy but the particulate coming out of the exhaust is just not pleasant. I will get the car remapped by Celtic once the DPF is back in as previous experience of their work tells me that they know what they are doing - plus I like having a tune I can alter the map on myself whenever I feel like it.

However, my replacement DPF is not new... it has 30K miles on it, is it worth spending 250 quid plus on a deep clean (as in a proper one, not Halfords)?? I suspect that with these engines the DPF will likely be in good nick anyway, (and the DPF itself cost less than the clean)... would welcome your views!
cheers!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sounds pricey to buy a dpf and get it cleaned and then remapped. Are you aware that Autolusso do a new dpf, sensor, remap for about £700? Probably would make more sense to do it that way.

I contacted a dpf cleaning company who ultrasonic ally clean them, but all they said to me was that it's probably better if they source a new dpf. I suspect this is their business plan, get you interested and then try and flog you a new one.

Alternatively, there's the Wurth dpf cleaner that maybe you can spray in your dpf before fitting it. Then do a force regen straight after. It usually goes in through the temp sensor orafice, but you could get it better spread without the dpf fitted.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Good advice! DPFs for the common Alfa diesels (1.9 and 2.4) are plentiful and cheap and it would make sense to get a new one in that case. I can believe the Autolusso offer as it can't be hard to exchange on a normal diesel. That whole job is likely under half an hour of labour with the right tools and a lift, I imagine they source the DPFs new for £150 quid, Ned must be laughing all the way to the bank!

Trying to source a new one for the 2.0 engine and you're looking at north of 1500 just for the DPF alone from Alfa. There should be a Vauxhall/GM equivalent or an OEM one out there but despite months of searching I haven't found one, so your only choice is to get one from a breakers or from someone removing theirs. Luckily we're now into the stage of the 159s life where there are some in the scrapyard - mine was 175 quid.

Celtic tuning is actually cheap for me as I already have a e-motion box which means it costs 100 quid for each new car and 50 for each new additional map. The Autolusso/Alfatune/AHM remap is a permanent addition to your car, you have to shell out every time you want to change it. I really like being able to revert to standard or choose eco or fast road (or track) at any time I like. Plug in the box to the car... press program and a few minutes later you're done. I have years of running Celtic maps on other cars and they have always been excellent technically and very helpful.

Moral of the story is of course don't buy a 2.0 car with a missng DPF as it will be a smoker :smoker: even if it can scrape through MOT tests.

Think I might buy a cheap endoscope so I can inspect the DPF inside...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it possible to shine a torch in the back of the DPF to see if it is fully caked over? If not, then maybe worth fitting and then doing a forced region and see how it goes.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As Al says I've had the dpf clean through the temperature sensor many years ago by Autolusso in Bournemouth.

Another to consider I suppose is terraclean. They do a dpf clean as well. I've not used it nor know how much it costs but watched a couple of videos on youtube of it being done. It seems to eject a foam out the exhaust.

·
Registered
701 Posts
30K should be nothing for a DPF...Make a force regen & you should be happy, cant really see your problem since your not mentioning the DPF youf bought beeing blocked?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts