Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time since getting my car I have done 300miles on a tank of petrol (312 to be exact).
Basically I took the water temp sensor off my terminally ill 75 2.0litre TS and swapped it with the one in the 155. The last owner of the 75 said he easily got 40mpg on a run and 30 in town.
So it was the water temp sensor all along. Problem is, I still need to buy another one when I cure the 75.

Marlon

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.....when....sort of. If I get the valves, the guy who MOT's my cars is gonna do the valves and grinding for me. I think he might even transport the car to his garage and fix it for me if I grovel....and he's pretty cheap 'cos I work beside his burd!!! (also been very good with my cars over the past 6 years).

Cheers for your offer the other day JB

Marlon

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought 300 was noraml on a tank. I get that all the time so long as I dont thack it to much. If I do it goes down to 280 ish.

Marcus

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah! But deisel is a penny or so a litre dearer! eek!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do 250 miles til the warning light comes opn constantly!

Still equates to 23 mpg!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blimey! I was starting to get paranoid as my figures have dropped down to 29mpg recently (as high as 32 in the summer)....

Is the water temp sensor just a plug-in part or do you have to drain some (or all) of the coolant to replace the old one?

Ralf S.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the twinnys it screws into the top of the thermostat housing. Use a 19mm ring spanner.
BTW, it might not be this sensor for everybody, but it cured my problem.

Marlon

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Wow, in the summer, I nearly always get 350 from a tank in my 1.8 16v. On long runs it's been as high as 380 - 390! In winter it drops to around 290 - 300.

Do I win a prize?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i tend to get around 300 to a tank normally, but on a good trip, it seem to go up to a figure that equates to 34mpg, i couldnt get my breath!!!!
it appears there is a fair amount of difference. still should be used to that by now

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right then, this here water temperature sensor. Where is it on a V6, how can I test it.

Ta.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same place Andy, right hand side of the engine on the thermostat. Its got a bit of blue plastic visible. About £25 from the dealer, don't recommend you go for one in the aftermarket.

We had major problems finding the part number and so did the dealer, they eventually contacted the experts!! I posted the part number for future reference.

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, is there a way to test them? with ohmeter? voltmeter? witchcraft! before buying a new one? Credit card bill just came. I am scared of my girlfriend, she may well hack me into small pieces and stir fry me! Need to pay out less.

Any ideas?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give debt the finger with those handy I'm not listening finger in the ear things....La La La La La La La La La La........

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shall i get you one andy...before you change your mind.??? :D

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After reading all that I'm pretty pleased to have got 24mpg from my V6 with the thermostat stuck open! Mixture of enthusiastic driving and town driving with engine temp not getting much over 50 degrees on the gauge.

Should be around 27mpg now it's fixed, I guess?

Ian

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Err, I only get 23mpg and the cars heats up quickly :(

wrinx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts