Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read alot about the 3.7 and 3.8's and yes we know that their fast and we know its the ultimate in GTA and Alfa folklore...but how reliable are these motors?

I've heard of overheating issues, liners needing replacing that are too weak, oil cooling issues...is there, somewhere in the world, a 3.7 or 3.8 that's been tuned correctly and that's drivable as an everyday car...well weekend or now and then toy?

Who knows of a 3.7/8 that's been driven for years without any issue?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I've read alot about the 3.7 and 3.8's and yes we know that their fast and we know its the ultimate in GTA and Alfa folklore...but how reliable are these motors?

I've heard of overheating issues, liners needing replacing that are too weak, oil cooling issues...is there, somewhere in the world, a 3.7 or 3.8 that's been tuned correctly and that's drivable as an everyday car...well weekend or now and then toy?

I "think" Nigels gets driven quite a lot

·
Registered
30,067 Posts

Trailbraker has had his for years and still going strong. to add it's super charged as well.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Ned built a red 147 GTA 3.8 a couple of years back. I personally ran the car in for the first 500 miles and I believe that has done about 20,000 hassle free miles since

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
That's kool to know :)

I heard from someone that Autolusso has stopped doing the 3.8 conversion but not too sure if its just a rumour or not...any light on that? :confused:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Vendor
45,807 Posts
That's kool to know :)

I heard from someone that Autolusso has stopped doing the 3.8 conversion but not too sure if its just a rumour or not...any light on that? :confused:
Its hard to find people that don't mind spending the money.. But we have another booked in at the moment :)

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Its hard to find people that don't mind spending the money.. But we have another booked in at the moment :)
Ah cheers for confirming I was misinformed fella!

It is a hefty price but its worth it :)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I've done 20k+ hard miles in mine with no issues. I thrash the nuts off it most of the time too.

It chew'd through a few mafs but that seems to have stopped since I've put the OE paper filter element in.

The only 3.7/8 I am aware of that has failed is the one that Gotcha talks about in his thread, the one he is now rebuilding I think?
:)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply guys, please tell me more abouth the supercharged 3.8

·
Registered
247 Posts
Almost 11k miles. It's my daily drive and is driven hard. It hasn't missed a beat. And the more miles that go on it the better the engine feels,it's loosening up nicely. It hardly uses any oil either, and I was expecting it to plough through the stuff.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Peak Alfa Rogers 3.8 from his GTV was full on raced for years without issue and is now in his mates road car (a 155 irrc) and the guy drives it every day :wow:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Peak Alfa Rogers 3.8 from his GTV was full on raced for years without issue and is now in his mates road car (a 155 irrc) and the guy drives it every day :wow:
Is that the 155 in blue? :)

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've done 20k+ hard miles in mine with no issues. I thrash the nuts off it most of the time too.

It chew'd through a few mafs but that seems to have stopped since I've put the OE paper filter element in.

The only 3.7/8 I am aware of that has failed is the one that Gotcha talks about in his thread, the one he is now rebuilding I think?
:)
so you run a standard paper filter all the time now???

1 - 20 of 49 Posts