Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the water pump on my 916 3.2 and am currently looking at a Magneti Marelli and a Metelli.

Does anyone have a preference or recommendation?

Thank you

·
Registered
74 Posts
[QUOTE = "soolka, post: 17544510, członek: 532234"]
Nie sądzę, że OEM jest nadal dostępny .....?
[/ZACYTOWAĆ]Experts recommend that the pump impeller be metal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Definately make sure metal impeller but don't go for cheapest. Go for quality brand is my advice. The thing with water pumps is that they can fail and partially fail but both ways the results can be fatal. That's what alway go for quality trusted brand I have seen some pumps for vauxhall that appear to have a metal impeller but it is made of some composite. The fins snap off or the impeller loses grip with the spindle and becomes inefficient. Result is engine finished. This is on recent models as if vauxhall would have not known this.... Cheap cheap cheap.....

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Alfa Workshop list three makes, all with metal impellers. One of which is Magneti Morelli. I've bought genuine Alfa parts and they've been Magneti Morelli.

I've seen it where the blades haven't broken but the impeller becomes loose on the shaft once the engine gets hot so a run around the block shows no problem but a more extensive run does. For less that £60 it doesn't make sense not to change the pump when the belt(s) are changed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My water pump failed 1500Km from home... The bearing failed catastrophically dumping the coolant and allowing the metal impeller(?) to make contact with the block. My car is an import from Japan which turned out to have a no-name (or at least no markings) water pump. I don't even what to think about what it cost me to rent a truck and trailer to get the car home. Don't skimp on a water pump.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Strong advice. I skimped on a cambelt change.... Lucky it snapped when engine was at idle... Only slightly bent 4 valves..... Moral is that skimping give all the trouble you need.... 😭

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alfa Workshop list three makes, all with metal impellers. One of which is Magneti Morelli. I've bought genuine Alfa parts and they've been Magneti Morelli.

I've seen it where the blades haven't broken but the impeller becomes loose on the shaft once the engine gets hot so a run around the block shows no problem but a more extensive run does. For less that £60 it doesn't make sense not to change the pump when the belt(s) are changed.
Thanks. I’m leaning towards a Magneti Marelli one.... :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My water pump failed 1500Km from home... The bearing failed catastrophically dumping the coolant and allowing the metal impeller(?) to make contact with the block. My car is an import from Japan which turned out to have a no-name (or at least no markings) water pump. I don't even what to think about what it cost me to rent a truck and trailer to get the car home. Don't skimp on a water pump.
Wow...that sounds brutal. I’ve seen the underside of Japanese import cars and they look as good as new! I know the servicing/maintenance rules out there are really strict - but I suppose there is nothing to say which part brands are fitted. Hope your car is back to 100% now!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts