Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who has had to replace their transfer box on their V6?

I bought mine back in August, not driven it that much since October/November. Noticed when I took it out during November that it made a strange whine which didn't last that long the first time, but lasted a little longer each time I took it out. Probably driven it half a dozen times since then and finally took it in to be looked at this week.

Been diagnosed as a failing bearing in the transfer box. New item is ~£2,300 + VAT + fitting.

Anyone had theirs replaced who can comment on price?

Sounds like its just down to bad luck which is super frustrating. Almost at the point where I'm considering its not economical to repair - especially considering it does need a few other bits doing (brakes, temp housing, oil sensor is on the way out) etc. Anyone know what causes this?

James

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
A forum user has not long changed his think he goes by the name 4scr he has his black Brera on eBay. If you type Alfa Brera 3.2 Q4 breaking into the eBay search bar you should find one

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cheers - I'll come back to you in a sec!

Has anyone had their transfer box rebuilt before? I seem to be hearing mixed messages on whether its possible or not
If I might tag on to this thread:- My transfer box has just been found to have metal swarf in the oil, presumably from a failing bearing, so needs replacing / rebuilding. If anyone knows where a used one can be located I'd ever so grateful to hear. Thanks.
TCK

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TCK - the issue with a used one is you don't know whether that one also has issues!

I'm getting conflicting messages on the ability to rebuild at the moment as well.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I think you should be able to. Its a ZF transferbox and ZF usually provide rebuild kits and service kits for their products

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks BenzinaBrera.

I think that's the same company who I heard did rebuild kits. I'll try and find a partner who sells their kit.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Zf have their own actual ZF branches. So if you can find a ZF branch and perhaps the ZF partnumber on your transferbox then your good to go

·
Registered
19 Posts
One other option is to get the transfer box put and take the "bearing shop" and the rotation part to a bearing place .They can find you one or make you one to the correct specification

I've done this a few times for hard to find wheel bearings on classics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zf have their own actual ZF branches. So if you can find a ZF branch and perhaps the ZF partnumber on your transferbox then your good to go
Yeah I found a few places who are Zf distributors over the weekend - I think I'll contact a couple and find out if they can order specific parts for me, if I can work out what I need.

One other option is to get the transfer box put and take the "bearing shop" and the rotation part to a bearing place .They can find you one or make you one to the correct specification

I've done this a few times for hard to find wheel bearings on classics.
Yeah I was thinking about this over the weekend too - my only concern is how hard it actually is to actually strip down and put the transfer box back together.

Anyone opened up/stripped down a transfer box before please?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts