Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Is it just me or is the 159 3.2 Q4 just too heavy for its own good?

I cannot tell you the number of times I have stalled this car: getting onto a curb; getting out of a pot hole (four times!!!!); reversing up the slightest of hills; you name it.

I've had a 147, 147 GTA, 166 3.0 and now this - and I've never stalled up until now.

Has anyone else got this problem? I have to hurl myself at a curb to get on to it (parking).

Could there be something wrong with it?

Could there - simply - be something wrong with me?

Also, how dull is it to drive in comparison to a 147GTA or 3.2 GT. Or, again, is this just me?

Such a shame (and I still owe a lot on it!).

Chihuahua

B

·
0 Posts
What Car puts it at 1,480kg. This seems to compare very favourably with the Audi A4 3.2 Quattro (1,580kg) and the BMW 330i (1,555kg). :)

B

·
0 Posts
I think a lot of modern cars are too heavy, maybe all the security and safety kit, plus the sound proofing etc. Good luck with the sale. :thumbs:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I just dropped my Brera off at the dealer for fixing and they gave me loan of a GT, the first thing I noticed was how much lighter the GT felt, but then it feels a way more cramped and far less comfortable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used to have a 159 3.2, for about 9 months, then it was over for me....
I never had the problem of the car stalling, but the car felt heavy, it sounds good, but don't drive any faster than any normal diesel car, with 170hk+++
So I sold it and got a 156 GTA, and what a car!!! that car was just amassing, fast and fun, and a great long traveller car. It is the one of five Alfa's that I have owned that has given me most joy sofare, even more joy than the new one I am driving today.
But then we needed the space of a 159 SW, so I am back, but this time a 2.4 Ti Q-troniq. and now I feel that the car has the engine it deserves, quick and fast and comfortable.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hello all,

Is it just me or is the 159 3.2 Q4 just too heavy for its own good?

Also, how dull is it to drive in comparison to a 147GTA or 3.2 GT. Or, again, is this just me?

Such a shame (and I still owe a lot on it!).

Chihuahua
Sorry to hear this. I have the Q-tronic version 159 and the car seems quick (albeit not as per the 3.2GT) but it is significantly heavier (mine is 1740kg). The plus side of that (and no disrespect to 147, 156 or GT owners) but the car is more planted, suspension is strong as and its not a crashy ride. It is however very quick but the engine is a bit lazy and you have to work it hard.

Suggest you get some Shell V-power in it and give it a real good ragging. It does not appreciate being driven lightly so if you're trying to save on fuel forget it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies.

I admit to having bought it off paper and secured it based on a desire for the car, it being available and at a good enough price. So, obviously my fault there.

I think my main thing is just feeling disappointed compared to expectations.

I might throw my foot down a bit more on the accelerator before lifting the clutch and see what transpires. I have been thrashing it a bit so am not being light with it.

Admit that it feels planted, strong and secure. 166lover - I'm sure the automatic version helps it get the most from the engine.

Will keep at it or swap it for a 3.2 GT... and then try to keep it longer than three months!

Chihuahua

·
Registered
67 Posts
What Car puts it at 1,480kg. This seems to compare very favourably with the Audi A4 3.2 Quattro (1,580kg) and the BMW 330i (1,555kg). :)
Actually, the owner's handbook of my 159 3.2 Q4 puts it at 1680Kg - quite heavy. But then 260bhp is quite a lot too!

Chihuahua - have to say, I've never stalled it in six months, so there might be an issue with the engine here. That said, I don't often do things like 'getting on to a curb' if I can avoid it - not with those alloys ;-)

B

·
0 Posts
Actually, the owner's handbook of my 159 3.2 Q4 puts it at 1680Kg - quite heavy. But then 260bhp is quite a lot too!

Chihuahua - have to say, I've never stalled it in six months, so there might be an issue with the engine here. That said, I don't often do things like 'getting on to a curb' if I can avoid it - not with those alloys ;-)
Fair enough - for the saloon? What Car has the higher weight (1,650kg) for the Estate version shown. My point really is that Alfa have come under a lot of fire for the weight of the cars recently, and yes, they could be lighter, but all manufacturers' cars are getting pretty hefty now. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fair enough - for the saloon? What Car has the higher weight (1,650kg) for the Estate version shown. My point really is that Alfa have come under a lot of fire for the weight of the cars recently, and yes, they could be lighter, but all manufacturers' cars are getting pretty hefty now. :)
Yes, for the saloon - just checked the manual again. The SportWagen 3.2JTS is listed at a hefty 1,730Kg :wow:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes, for the saloon - just checked the manual again. The SportWagen 3.2JTS is listed at a hefty 1,730Kg :wow:
In the UAE we are told to use Super unleaded - these engines don't like 95 RON fuel.

Before you go shell out more cash, get the air filter changed and have an oil change. It worked wonders here (though it is sandy/dusty). I remember driving manual in UK and 1st did seem sluggish.

How many miles has she done?

:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts