Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Really nice sludge build up.....can happen on any a engine that has infrequent oil changes , runs too hot for the oil or does lots of short journeys…..not just the V6 Brera/159. My last Jeep suffered with it due to previous owners poor maintenance....took a few close interval oil changes with a strong detergent engine flush to get back to normal. I thing Alfa might not be that interested in a ten (?) years old cars issues!!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Could be caused through poor ventilation via the PCV valve as wel as the cause of high mileage oil change intervals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The blow-by gases, if not ventilated, can condense and combine with the oil vapor present in the crankcase forming sludge or cause the oil to become diluted with unburned fuel, degrading its quality and decreasing its effective life. Additionally, excessive crankcase pressure can lead to engine oil leaks past the crankshaft seals and other engine seals and gaskets. Prolonged periods of oil leaks can starve the engine of oil and damage it in a permanent way. Therefore, it becomes imperative that a crankcase ventilation system is used. This allows the blow-by gases, consisting of the combustion products and the oil vapors, to be vented through a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve out of the crankcase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts