Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago i promised to post some pics of the Novitec kompressor conversion (if i got permission from Novitec.) Wel I did, so i will :)

If you have questions, i can try and answer to the best of my knowledge, but feel free to chip in with comments or information. I am sure there are lots of people out there with detailed knowledge on this sort of process.

EDIT: I can't figure out how to link the images in here directly, so they will have to viewed via the link to the photobucket album below

http://photobucket.com/albums/e373/Peter10101010/

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy G said:
so how does it feel to drive then Peter?
Wish i knew! Car is still in storage :( Weather permitting i should hopefully get her out on the roads soon! past month has been more or less Arctic conditions here :eek:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Whats the anticipated effect on fuel consumption going to be?

Only joking mate! :D

What rev limit is it set to at the moment?
Do you know what boost they are using?

This comes with a Novitec electronic box of tricks, do you know if this was developed in-house or is a specially mapped debranded Omex or similar?
They don't say much on their website, just "novitec computer" - buy it !or somesuch :)

How long will you have to be a good boy for when you get it?

Enjoy!
TB

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow that looks likes an awesome job there Peter.
For those of us less mechanically minded,please explain how this supercharger delivers more power.I noticed it's connected to the ancillary belt and that a custom pulley was made to transfer rotational torque to the charger itself.So does that mean it's always in use?Does the compresser need to reach certain revs in order to deliver forced air?
Great job on the intercooler aswell.Overall a high quality outcome,you gotta be a happy chappy:)
Oh and no im not turning a shade of green. :p

·
Registered
827 Posts
Barbalatte said:
Yep, thanks Joz, I didn't understand one word.:lol:
Could you guys please explain how much power you get out of it after the conversion. In KW and Horsepower?
hehe
i think the supercharger will givehim 350bhp which i think is about 250kw and something like 390Nm of torque.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mhhm... :confused: :confused: Not really experienced in auto mechanics! Aviation is my field, so knowledge of Superchargers is more or less restricted to basics and historical aspects of the initial use on WWII Warbirds. :eek:

I do understand that they are driven by the engine via the pulleys/belts. This powers the compressor, so unlike a turbo which spools up from the exhaust, you dont have any lag. The power band is the same as before, but 40% above stock output all through the rev range.

Well pleased with the operation so far though.. they handled the whole thing very professionally. All the paperwork and TUV approval documents is included in the package, and they take care of everything. The hardware seems well thought out, and i especially like the way they are able to place the unit up there behind the engine.

I've heard from another source, that the kit was developed for Novitec by a Swiss company called SZ enginering. But it's not something i have a confirmation on. Dont have any detailed information about the Novitec engine management system, but i do know it will only work with the GTA ECU's (GT/166 3.2 also) Earlier i was looking into having the kit fitted to my 3.2 hybrid, but since it runs on the 2.5 ECU, it would not work with the Novitec engine management system. Autodelta S/C kit is more flexible in that respect, since they use a piggyback, and can make it work with any ECU.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can also add that they either added or changed 2 injectors(2 Bosch injectors is mentioned in the TUV documentation) for adding more fuel to match the added air mixture.

I am running on stock exhaust. They where a bit perplexed over the fact that i didnt want a different exhaust, Coilovers, Alloys etc. Maybe dissapointed would be more accurate, because i suspect customers buying the conversion kit usually buys a lot of their other stuff. To be honest, i dont se how they can make any money on this kit alone. :confused: Look at the hardware and work involved! At 7.000 Euro all included its a bargain if you ask me!

Still, if they were dissapointed, they didn't show it and i got excellent service from start to finish.

·
Registered
827 Posts
So am i to understand that no headwork was done?
Obviously i'm no expert but i always thought it was important to lower engine compression when using forced induction.I guess it depends on the extent of the boost.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Peter K said:
Can also add that they either added or changed 2 injectors(2 Bosch injectors is mentioned in the TUV documentation) for adding more fuel to match the added air mixture.

I am running on stock exhaust. They where a bit perplexed over the fact that i didnt want a different exhaust, Coilovers, Alloys etc. Maybe dissapointed would be more accurate, because i suspect customers buying the conversion kit usually buys a lot of their other stuff. To be honest, i dont se how they can make any money on this kit alone. :confused: Look at the hardware and work involved! At 7.000 Euro all included its a bargain if you ask me!

Still, if they were dissapointed, they didn't show it and i got excellent service from start to finish.
€7000 – wow nice one – including the fitting ?

I think you made a wise choice not choosing any of their other stuff as some of it is just plain ugly :D

Thats a new GTA you are fitting into ?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes. Interesting.
What sort of precautions does one make in order to um, like blow the engine into a million pieces?
I thought you might have had to re-enforce pretty much everything when you Supercharge or Turbo an engine.
The 3.2 Litre engine is a very strong engine, when it's looked after properly. True?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thx for all the positive feedback btw :)

I am pretty sure there is no head work, or otherwise strenghtening of the engine involved. I am also fairly certain the system runs (knock on wood!) trouble free. The kit was released november 2003, and has since undergone a few improvements, but has proven to run very reliable with the people who had the kit installed. I've been told Novitec sells about one kit per week on average, so it's not like there are not other cars with the kit fitted out there. Would love to get more feedback from owners of this kit though, so if anyone out there is reading this has the kit fitted, please chip in with your experiences! :)

AFAIK Supercharger kits are often "bolt on" kits, and does not require a lot more maintenance or rebuilding of the engine, as opposed to Turbo conversions. The downside to Superchargers, is that the added power is much more limited compared to turbo. 98 bhp/90 Nm more is just fine though. In my mind, the instant power and relative maintenance free system, makes up for the limited power availlable. 348 bhp on a FWD car, is probably more then enough in most situations anyway! :)

The kit is 6000 euro plus 1000 euro fitting.(16% Sales Tax included)

http://shophost.net/shop_n/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_6&products_id=940

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pascs said:
€7000 – wow nice one – including the fitting ?

I think you made a wise choice not choosing any of their other stuff as some of it is just plain ugly :D

Thats a new GTA you are fitting into ?
Yep its 6k for the kit, and 1k for the fitting. As for other stuff, they do have nice exhausts, coilovers and wheels, but my bank account is bleeding more then enough as it is!

If you go for a bigger more agressive exhaust, you get another 15bhp. If you export the car to a country where the EU emission laws dont apply, you can decat it with the bigger exhaust, and get up to 380bhp!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
fantastic job Peter, she should be a real gem once you run her in, the pictures are great too, money well spent i'd say :D

·
Registered
827 Posts
You must be itching to drive it:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts