Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Finally finished fitting my 2nd replacement clutch today after 4 weekends (not 4 full weekends I hasten to add). Pleased to report that yes, it does work. And yes, I did remember the heat sheild this time. I did pinch the Diff output seal O rings though and had to wait a week for replacements :(

All is not so rosey though. The engine started quite poorly, gave a quick blink of the MCSF light before settling into its normal idle. I wend for a test drive and if I gave it any more than 1/4 throttle the engine would die for a second, giving the motor control system failure error. Doing it stationary I would even get an immobilisor failure.

It's too late to do anything more now but would it be a safe bet that I have missed an earth somewhere? I got the gearbox and plenum earths done up, I don't think I could have missed any others.

I may had not properly tightened the nuts that secure the ECU to the plenum. Would this cause any issue?

and finally, can anyone show me the correct routing of the Power steering pipes that go over the gearbox? I cannot for the life of me get them to sit in the brackets on the subframe/inner wing. The one that goes to the resevior just wants to scratch the hell out of the inner wing and I cannot get it to comply!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So clutch judder is now fully gone? :paranoid:
Seems to be but hard to tell with the engine running so rough. The pedal is smooth at least.

Thinking about it in bed last night, I might have left the rear bank lambda unplugged. Will check it out tonight.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just been out to tighten up the ECU nuts and it is now running just fine. No misfires or anything and did a 6 mile test run perfectly. The brakes are a bit iffy from being standing for so long but I reckon they will loosen up in time. The strange bearing esq noise I am now convinced is the rear passenger side brake as this one was red hot after the run, none of the other brakes were anywhere near as hot.

The clutch feels perfect. It feels even more linear than the first replacement clutch. The slightest perceivable judder in reverse but I don't think this is the transmission.

Now, a very ginger 200 miles before I can assume that the new clutch will last. I am scared ****less about the release bearing after my recent experiences and don't want to strip the car down again. If it pops out again so soon I will most likely break the car for spares.

Reactions: Mitch916

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I took it into work this morning and tbh it is driving perfectly. The new clutch is nice and smooth and doesnt "Grab" like the 70 mile "old new" clutch did.

Something strange though is that the car judders a bit when parking and only when parking, Not as bad as when the last bearing "Half-popped" though. Hopefully this will go away once the clutch has bed in.

Reactions: maxiboy wales
1 - 5 of 5 Posts