Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just got an offer to purchase 3.2 GT cams because I have been in the market to buy GTA cams to put in my 2.5 v6. Only problem is that they are rare as hell in Cape Town. Are the GT cams the same as the GTA and is there a tech guide on this forum that I could download to do the installation if I do get them?
Any help would be appreciated:thumbs:

·
Vendor
47,144 Posts
Brilliant, I always wondered this.

Seems they are the same after all :)

(We're just talking about the two inlet cams right, aren't the exhaust cams the same on all 24v V6s?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Luckily have someone who has the GTA camlocks so I can then do the job. Will I need a remap or can that be done at a later stage?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Brilliant, I always wondered this.

Seems they are the same after all :)

(We're just talking about the two inlet cams right, aren't the exhaust cams the same on all 24v V6s?)
That's right. Exhaust cams are the same, but 3.2 inlet cams are bigger. I imagine the exhaust cams' ,timing remains the same irrespective of engine, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
It's all the same, only the mapping is different.
So a remap of a non GTA 3.2 would have to give at least 10hp then? Sounds well worth it.

Anyone know, as I can't remap the 164, if I did the inlet cam swap, would I notice a worthwhile difference?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You'll need a remap to make it work otherwise the engine will run weak at the top end due to lack of fuel.
You would really need the inlet cam, inlet pipes and connector block or runner onto the head. Then, put it on a rolling road and have a bespoke chip made. Alternatively, speak to some of the Alfa tuners who have good V6 experience, and they may have a suitable map they could burn onto a chip for you to fit.;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Aww, it's just a wee challenge. Get some goodies from ebay and speak to tuners. Someone will have chipped 164 before. The older style develop were easier to develop new maps for, I hear.:)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Well, it'd be nice, but I wouldn't want to spend a fortune or go to a lot of hassle. I might be better off getting some fast road cams from AHM or EBspares if I do decide I want a bit more power.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
So a remap of a non GTA 3.2 would have to give at least 10hp then? Sounds well worth it.

Anyone know, as I can't remap the 164, if I did the inlet cam swap, would I notice a worthwhile difference?
About 12bhp... Not much, I know but that's all you get.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
About 12bhp... Not much, I know but that's all you get.
Sorry, are you referring to the remap for the 3.2, or the inlet cam change on the 3.0?

If I could get another 12bhp just by putting the 3.2 inlet cam on, I would. However, if as ally says, it needs chipping, I'm not sure I could afford it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I know a guy who put the 3.2 inlet cams on his 164 Super and got that result without chipping.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Cool, well that might be worth giving a go. Then I could maybe chip it for further gains in the future.

·
Vendor
47,144 Posts
Well, it'd be nice, but I wouldn't want to spend a fortune or go to a lot of hassle. I might be better off getting some fast road cams from AHM or EBspares if I do decide I want a bit more power.
I don't think you'd need it remapped.. Chris155 is running a full 3.2 engine on standard CF2 2.5 V6 management, no remap, and his AFRs were read as normal on a wideband lambda, it seems the engine management 'learnt' the engine, so I would say GTA cams are the way to go - at least anywhere that has GTA cam locks can time them for you. If you got AHM fast road cams, you'd have to go back to AHM every time you needed a belt change as know where else would be able to time them correctly, and its not possible to lock the engine totally with just the gearbox.

But AHM cams would probably release even more power, it was a consideration for me but I think I'm going to go with GTA cams next year when the belt is 3 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts