Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know a respectable/trustworthy supplier where I can acquire a 3.2 engine from a GT?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw this too. "Sub assembly" is what had me concerned.

Maybe the best would be to keep an eye on SMD and source an accident damaged GT.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Chris try Gavin, he possibly does have a complete 3.2. He is good and reliable.
What price range are you looking at. Do you need complete motor or just turning motor heads, block and sump?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Maybe the best would be to keep an eye on SMD and source an accident damaged GT.
Yeah. He does seem to have a complete 3.0 though.

Try Cassims Auto in Lenasia. They have a damaged 3.2 GT which I got the calipers off of a while back.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gavin?

I'm looking to swop my 2.5 with a 3.2 so I would preferably need as much as possible from it so I don't end up needing to purchase factory items.

The motor will be stripped to the last bolt, cleaned and service items will be replaced. Am also looking into getting the 3.8 liners and pistons.

I am strongly considering getting a GT coupe as a donor so that I can use parts other than just the motor.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yeah. He does seem to have a complete 3.0 though.

Try Cassims Auto in Lenasia. They have a damaged 3.2 GT which I got the calipers off of a while back.
Thanks, I will give them a shout.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Just remember there is a serious packet of work to go from 3.2 to 3.8, not just fitting new liners and pistons ... the block must be machined to take the liners, oil squirters, head must be reworked to take new gasket and have the combustion chamber right.
It is such a mod on all components... you might as well start of with a 2.5 motor. Or fit a turbo to a 2.5 for less money and have more power, reliably

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gerhard, going 2.5 turbo is a very interesting point. What kind of power do you expect from a 2.5 turbo vs. the 3.7 conversion. I've only recently heard of the 3.8 and already the Alfa gurus are saying rather go 3.7 as the 3.8 liners seem to thin to handle the heat.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Gerhard, going 2.5 turbo is a very interesting point. What kind of power do you expect from a 2.5 turbo vs. the 3.7 conversion. I've only recently heard of the 3.8 and already the Alfa gurus are saying rather go 3.7 as the 3.8 liners seem to thin to handle the heat.
3.8 on a Busso is not a great idea, 3.8 on a GM block is totally fine.
2.5 turbo will give you Amazing results!
Search for turbonutters video on youtube.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
we had this 3.7/8 discussion at length over the years. What's this conversion cost these days from Dawie? R70-80k?

Gerhard's 156 2.5 was/is turbo'd and reliable, so too was the GTV. Hennie's GTV was turbo'd and made proper power.

Driving the 2.5 one can see the issue at hand regarding power, I've now come froma 3.2, 3.0 and now the 2.5. Although sonorous at 4500-7000rpm, its kind of a gentle family cruiser at best, still needing downshifts 2 or even 3 gears to overtake a truck on a national road.

I'd say, go 3.2 and enjoy that 1st before even considering the 3.7's unreliability, I've yet to meet someone who is happy with it, I mean 3.7's are eaten by e46 M3's alive...but let's not go into that debate...or go to TN or MRD, explore the options of 200wkw 2.5 turbo without opening the motor, if that's possible, if not open the motor and then spend R40k and be happy with 200wkw.

I am totally relooking the purpose of my wagon purpose, as said its a gentle family tourer...maybe fit a 3.0 to bring it up to that possible hot hatch beater when the time requires.:thumbup:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
TN's asthma pump will be/is a great mod for a 2.5 V6 engine.

Can someone elaborate on the mods?
FMIC
boost piping
ECU tune or piggy back?
Turbo and turbo manifold
Extra injectors?
Fuel rail and fuel pump?
blow off valve?
Q2 diff and GTA clutch or upgraded clutch, I know TN's GTV had a GTA clutch that could not handle it.

How much is all of this?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
On the argument on what engine to start off with: People like the 3.2's OEM - leave them unmolested :cry:

The 2.5, 3.0 and 3.2 blocks are all the same. The evolution of the Busso : It evolved from the 3.0 12V to the 3.0 24V, then the 2.5 is a 3.0 block built up to take the smaller liners. The 3.2 motor is the 3.0 motor , with a longer stroke. Sure the 3.8 uses the 3.2 crank, but the liners get rather thin and you are sacrificing the bullet-proof nature of the Busso. So you can in essence use the 101mm piston in a 2.5 crank setup to create a VERY over-square 3.3 L , or using the 3.0 crank - you get a mild over-square 3.5 L motor.

Another thing to remember is you are adding reciprocal mass (the bigger pistons) to produce power, thus you are stealing power to accelerate the pistons up and down the cylinders. Adding a turbo to a 2.5 - that is already bullet proof, will give you similar or more power that a 3.8 can make, but when you don't need the power, consumption and internal stresses are 2.5. So this is in essence the same argument as Supercharger vs Turbo.

ps. i sent this as a pm, but thought it would be good to publish

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
TN's asthma pump will be/is a great mod for a 2.5 V6 engine.

Can someone elaborate on the mods?
FMIC
boost piping
ECU tune or piggy back?
Turbo and turbo manifold
Extra injectors?
Fuel rail and fuel pump?
blow off valve?
Q2 diff and GTA clutch or upgraded clutch, I know TN's GTV had a GTA clutch that could not handle it.

How much is all of this?
Do eeeeet, Lance!!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
please show me a vid where it chows a c63 and a v8 M3...I'm talking about an e46 M3...don't show me videos of the GTV, I want to see c63 and V8 M3 being beaten by a 3.7 car...please.

Reactions: corriedw

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
1 - 20 of 68 Posts