Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys we bought our 3.2 just over a month ago had £4000 spent on clutch tyres cambelt etc etc..we had done 180 miles no problems when we picked it up but last 2 weeks it starts first time idles well revs great on the driveway but when out on the road it tries to die, engine light flashes up motor control module shows then goes out runs good full power then intermitently will do it all again when it does die it stars up right away.Another strange thing is twice recently car running boot open when you slam it shut the engine cuts out??Engine runs smooth everything works as it should just dont understand what could be the cause of it hope you guys can help out thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If the engine light came on, read the code with MES.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This screams dodgy electrical connection to me - it sounds like your losing one of the essential references the ECU needs to time the ignition - possibly the crank or cam sensors but obviously could be a lot else. As said scan it with MultiEcuScan and hopefully it will have stored a fault that gives a clue as to where the problem is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just phoned autolusso said to disconnect maf so unclipped it went round the block made no difference connected back up just the same so not the maf maybe going to have to get garage diagnostic only started recently was fine for a while..they said could be anything lambda, broken wire where would you start!! ecu it revs out fine 5/6000 rpm engine light flashes on then system control failier then all goes out what a pain in arse.

·
Vendor
46,146 Posts
Where are you based?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi isle of wight...pain in arse oh ive got a basic code reader after doing all i did got codes P1177 and P0100 seems to piont to mafe but might have been because i disconected it im just going road the block again ive wiggle all wires i can see seems all ok ...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very few things kill the engine if they go faulty as the ECU can substitute a reading and at worst go into limp mode. Lambda and MAF faults for instance will put the warning light on but not kill the engine. That's why I'd suspect something like an RPM sensor. But why not get MES to find out for yourself before throwing cash as a garage?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Could be coil packs on the way out. I ended up having to replace all six on mine. Open the bonnet and listen for an intermittent ticking noise which could be the insulation starting to go. If you do this when it’s dark you will see the sparks as it arcs to the engine block. Worth a check... otherwise get the codes read as others have said. Good luck getting it sorted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi yes both my boys have alfa gt 3.2 and 1.9jtd so might get MES leads and disc i went round the block car was good for about 3/4 miles slow and very fast driving all rev range then just as going home had one wobble system control came on car stuttered then was good till i got home plugged my code reader in nothing came up i think its a sensor thing somewhere if i get mes and a laptop and take for a drive will it show up whats wrong ?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
if you get MES and a laptop you can clear all stored codes... drive it till it plays up and see if codes stored.. if something like a sensor or coilpacks should store a cose. might even store a code if a dodgy connection is causing a signal loses somewhere... check codes.. do a though connection check if codes show up between the item and ecu. i recently had lambdas playing up showing as faulty. cleaned all connections and fine since

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gotta get it plugged in...

Otherwise you'll be guessing forever.

Could be coil packs on the way out. I ended up having to replace all six on mine. Open the bonnet and listen for an intermittent ticking noise which could be the insulation starting to go. If you do this when it’s dark you will see the sparks as it arcs to the engine block. Worth a check... otherwise get the codes read as others have said. Good luck getting it sorted.
One of mine went recently and it indeed had the random ticking/electrical spark sound. Nothing too dramatic tho.

·
Registered
174 Posts
One of mine went recently and it indeed had the random ticking/electrical spark sound. Nothing too dramatic tho.
Is there any damage or crack on the faulty coil? My 2.5 was making electrical spark sound too, I pull the front 3 coils up to inspect, but I can't find any damage or crack on them. I sprayed some dielectric grease on the coils before putting them back in and it seems like the sound went away. Not sure if the coils are bad or they just need the dielectric grease.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its getting a bit better pulled apart few connectors got some electical spray thinks its around maf sensor all to do with ignition no codes as yet logged

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all think its fixed!! i did a few things... on the battery connector block pozi side there seemed to be a loose bolt holding a flat metal piece so i undone all the bolts cleaned and sprayed loads of contact cleaner then done them all up.Next as we had just purchased the car it had a new rubber induction hose put on but comeing down the motorway had a engine light flash up so lifted bonnet hose compleatly off the throttle body!!!! anyway all was good then this problem 3 weeks later and as i was looking about i noticed the lower jubilee clip was loose on the maf! so as i was there took maf off sprayed and cleaned with cleaner put all back together....fingers crossed today 8 mile round trip ...all is well hopefully its sorted.now another problem on my other,s sons alfa gt ill post in a bit so watch out for more fun and games.cheers..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep all sorted.... just need a tan electric drivers seat now fully working as tilt cable broken and stiching has come apart on seat base anyone know where to try get one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts