Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I drive a GT 3.2 but I'm putting this in here as hopefully more of you guys will have input on this.

Bought my GT couple of years ago, got it at a good price (£2900) and I couldn't really say no as a toy. Problem is, it has really, really grown on me. Done about 7000 miles since I've had it and it currently sits on 99980.

It's cost me a clutch, oil cooler, tyres and a stainless bottom rad pipe since then - not bad.

About a week back it decided it didn't want to keep the coolant expansion tank cap on anymore, ordered a new one and on it went. Since then it's developed a misfire on 2 and 3. Sent it down to Autolusso this morning and sniff test wasn't good.

Ned has recommended a full rebuild which will cost more than what I originally paid for the car. Now I have full faith in Autolusso.

The car is still very much a weekend toy, I drive a Qashqai for work. I wouldn't really be doing it and expect the value of the car to rise, even though prices are on the rise.

I don't really see anything else out there for under 7k that I fancy. It's the GT or nothing and just drive the Qashqai for personal use too.

If I don't get it rebuilt it will be broken and I don't really think I want that to happen, I am a bit attached to the car.

Car already has a Q2 and clutch was done quite recently.

I just wanted opinions of people that have had a rebuild and what they think of it, or alternately people that have faced the decision and decided against it?

I'm a bit in no mans land at the moment so any input is very appreciated. :thumbs:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Haven't rebuild myself but what was the problem that they want to rebuild the engine for a misfire? What is the sniff test and can they really say rebuild after a sniff test? Maybe it's just the sparks on their way out?

Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sniff test is hydrocarbons in the coolant.

In other words head gasket has gone, which would make sense as the coolant cap blew off.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Firstly, sorry to hear that you are going to potentially be landed with one very big bill in the not too distant future.
If you want to hold on to the car then some kind of remedial work is the only way forward, and none of the options are cheap.

I had a full rebuild done at Autolusso two years ago after a head gasket failure, and excluding the powder coating the bill came in at just over £3500.
Overall the experience has been good, although I have found that the car has a tendency to throw the MCSF under certain scenarios resulting in a misfire code. Also the idle isn't as smooth as it was on the 'original' engine. The ultimate cause of these issues hasn't yet been found, although a possible cause suggested is the shorting of some wiring that was disrupted during the rebuild. Whilst this isn't a perfect scenario, one also has to understand that when a thirteen year old engine and associated ancillaries/wiring is disturbed then there is the potential for wear and tear upon reassembly. I don't think I've read any stories where people who have had a full engine rebuild have got by without some small niggles as a result. These engines don't arrive in a crate ready to be plugged back in, they are effectively rebuilt by hand using new and or reconditioned parts (where new isn't available).
Ultimately you have the option of getting the work done, or effectively scrapping the car....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply marmite, were the misfire codes an actual misfire or just false codes as such?

I'm not expecting perfect but if I go ahead I just want to enjoy the car properly, and I will keep it for many years to come.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thanks for your reply marmite, were the misfire codes an actual misfire or just false codes as such?

I'm not expecting perfect but if I go ahead I just want to enjoy the car properly, and I will keep it for many years to come.
The misfire codes I get relate to cylinders 2 and 3, sometimes multiple misfire on the rear bank (so the misfire is 'travelling' between all three). It is a definite misfire but it only happens when the car is idling and only as it is warming up nearing 90 degrees. If I just get in and drive I'd never know there was a problem. It displays no issues whatsoever whilst under load and drives 100% perfectly. All of the usual suspects have been checked, aside from timing (which I'm confident is fine, as is Ned, but as said it hasn't been checked), and I haven't thrown any replacement pre cat lambdas at it yet. From what I've read a failing lambda can cause misfire codes before you actually get a failed lambda code.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I had a lambda code along with my 2 and 3 misfire. Again crap when idling but under load it was fine.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ouch! Well, on the positive side, they will have to take the engine out I assume? While it is out you might consider doing any upgrades while it is out like catless exhaust manifolds etc. and once it is finished it should be a *****in ride for the next ten years + add value if you decide to sell it.

Hope you come right, all the best and let us know what you decide to do and how it went.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the plan Aramis. If it's sorted I can keep it for a long time to come and honestly speaking I don't think I can see myself swapping for another car. Yes there are many cars out there that will perform better and are newer, but nothing that really makes me say 'here's my money'.

Not that I can afford anyway :lol:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
That is the plan Aramis. If it's sorted I can keep it for a long time to come and honestly speaking I don't think I can see myself swapping for another car. Yes there are many cars out there that will perform better and are newer, but nothing that really makes me say 'here's my money'.

Not that I can afford anyway :lol:
If the timing belt is due anyway, then Autolusso can do that at the same time....then your man maths may add up to keeping the car as to do the belts properly with idlers and water pump is a good chunk of £1000....
Your car has a new clutch with Q2 diff, and may be worth about £5,000 with the work done....so the numbers just about add up to make it worthwhile.

If you buy another GT, you'll be lucky to get one for £3500...so it's swings and roundabouts whether to scrap it and buy another 3.2 GT. What do Autolusso think about the whole car? Are there other nasties that need doing?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had similar news cast on me about 3 years ago when the gasket went on my 156gta, after getting a few silly quotes for the work, I tackled the job myself. Completed a full top end rebuild, cab belt, aux belt, all idlers and tensioners and water pump. Parts a head skim and tooling came in at £1200, and it took me about 3 weekends. While at it I also completed the cf2 with EL down pipes, which added another £450, but that was my choice.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the timing belt is due anyway, then Autolusso can do that at the same time....then your man maths may add up to keeping the car as to do the belts properly with idlers and water pump is a good chunk of £1000....

Your car has a new clutch with Q2 diff, and may be worth about £5,000 with the work done....so the numbers just about add up to make it worthwhile.

If you buy another GT, you'll be lucky to get one for £3500...so it's swings and roundabouts whether to scrap it and buy another 3.2 GT. What do Autolusso think about the whole car? Are there other nasties that need doing?

I'm going to see Ned on Monday and I will have a proper look over the car with him, to look at potential other bits and get a better idea of everything.

The rest of the car is in decent condition, not amazing but then I'm always doing bits to it.

The man maths so far have been in full effect. Cambelt service is £850 or something, need an silicon intake pipe and a top engine mount bush. It's about £1100 anyway so an extra couple of grand isn't THAT bad. Another GT etc is completely out of the question, no idea obviously what condition it's in deep down. This way I know where the money has been spent and condition etc.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had similar news cast on me about 3 years ago when the gasket went on my 156gta, after getting a few silly quotes for the work, I tackled the job myself. Completed a full top end rebuild, cab belt, aux belt, all idlers and tensioners and water pump. Parts a head skim and tooling came in at £1200, and it took me about 3 weekends. While at it I also completed the cf2 with EL down pipes, which added another £450, but that was my choice.

As much as I would love to do this, my mechanical prowess isn't anywhere near good enough and I wouldn't want to butcher my car.

I do things like brakes and suspensions arms myself but I do not trust myself with drivetrain.

Would be nice mind.

·
Registered
218 Posts
As much as I would love to do this, my mechanical prowess isn't anywhere near good enough and I wouldn't want to butcher my car.

I do things like brakes and suspensions arms myself but I do not trust myself with drivetrain.

Would be nice mind.
So you'll happily play with the parts that stop you in an emergency, but not the bits that make you go?

It's only nuts and bolts.

I had more grief with an upper wishbone, than the rebuild!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you'll happily play with the parts that stop you in an emergency, but not the bits that make you go?

It's only nuts and bolts.

I had more grief with an upper wishbone, than the rebuild!

When you put it like that, it sounds so simple :lol:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why not just do the headgaskets?

John

The way Ned explained it over the phone, it may not get to the root cause of the problem. It was something to do with shafts going into the bottom of the engine that are on an O-ring, these tend to fail and cause play in the HG.

He explained it much better than that but I can't relay that on here, hence going down to see him on Monday.

Would be great if it was just a case of changing the gaskets.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The way Ned explained it over the phone, it may not get to the root cause of the problem. It was something to do with shafts going into the bottom of the engine that are on an O-ring, these tend to fail and cause play in the HG.

He explained it much better than that but I can't relay that on here, hence going down to see him on Monday.

Would be great if it was just a case of changing the gaskets.
Is head gasket replacement the same as top end rebuild anyway? Just got mine back from Autolusso south, top end rebuild with cat less wizard manifolds and all the trimmings! Result = amazing.

I would avoid buying another GT tbh, even with full service history you can buy a car with a knackered engine!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Is head gasket replacement the same as top end rebuild anyway? Just got mine back from Autolusso south, top end rebuild with cat less wizard manifolds and all the trimmings! Result = amazing.

I would avoid buying another GT tbh, even with full service history you can buy a car with a knackered engine!

Ned hasn't recommended a top end rebuild, it's a full rebuild.

Can I ask what mileage your car was on?

Oh and I've just realised who you are, seen the pictures etc on alfabook. I hoped you would reply on this thread as it's a great comparison.

I was under the impression that you had also had a full engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ned hasn't recommended a top end rebuild, it's a full rebuild.

Can I ask what mileage your car was on?

Oh and I've just realised who you are, seen the pictures etc on alfabook. I hoped you would reply on this thread as it's a great comparison.

I was under the impression that you had also had a full engine rebuild.
55k!!!:censored:

No just top end, took heads off and liners Pistons etc were OK. I bought the car recently so had committed myself (I should have been committed!). It was either sell for a loss and have nothing to show or put it on credit card and have a beast.

I guess it's a tough one, if there's nothing else you want then a rebuild seems the best option. They will go up in value and in a few years bussos will be very sought after.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts