Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gtv 3.2 not run for 6-8 weeks fired up today lots of clatter from top of engine. Could it be oil drained from hydraulic tappets ? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Yes. My GTA does this as it is the car that has similar “rests”. 5 minute drive, it will be fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New oil and filter let it idle up to temp, gentle rev to 3k , let it idle, test drive and sounds smooth and back to normal.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Gtv 3.2 not run for 6-8 weeks fired up today lots of clatter from top of engine. Could it be oil drained from hydraulic tappets ? Any ideas?
People tent to ignore the hydraulic tappets - me included - and i have only picked up on this after reading some worrying articles about the 3.2 JTS, principally as it is related to the Camaro engines. This came about as my 3.2 has been modified and rebuilt but there is a strong suspicion the hydraulic tappets have been fitted incorrectly. The height of the inlets is different from the exhaust and on inspection, there is little to no compression. It looks like this is where the problem lies.

However, I have watched a few videos where the roller of the rocker arms have collapsed and the cam shafts are being scored. But it does show, the rocker arm can be changed in situ, without removal of the camshafts. I hope this also holds true wrt the hydraulic adjusters.

I have left my e-disc with the garage, so I do not know the actual difference in height, although there is most definitely a difference. The exhausts being 37 mm. But I can't find the figure for the inlets.

I have found a complete set from Ajusa, which i think makes sense to change and probably the rocker arms as well - I don't want to score mt C.B. cams due to a roller collapsing.

Anyway, back to the point - the principal behind the Busso Valve train is no different to that of the 3.2 JTS or many others. A clatter from the cylinder head could well be a rocker arm. That won't fix itself, no matter how many oil changers one does, particularly if it is a high mileage engine. Just worth a look really.

And if anyone has the info on the height of the hydraulic adjusters, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
According to ePer, for the 3.0 and 3.2 Busso motor, the inlet and exhaust cam followers are all the same - part number 60664980.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
According to ePer, for the 3.0 and 3.2 Busso motor, the inlet and exhaust cam followers are all the same - part number 60664980.
Thanks for that JeremyG.

Perhaps I confused the issue with the 3.2 JTS Brera engine, now in my 159.

The Roller.Rocker Arm I was referring are those fitted to my 3.2 JTS, which is of course derived from GM/Holden/Chrysler. The video I watched on YouTube showed a collapsed roller bearing on a Chrysler. The symptoms were a characteristic "Ticking from the associated cylinder head of the Chrysler V6. What that led to was the scoring of the cam lobe as the rollers bearing had failed and worn badly, dropping the rocker body onto the cam lobe.

These roller/rocker arms are pretty similar to those on the Busso's so the potential for similar failings exists.

However, I am having trouble with miss - fires on my 3.2 JTS engine and it looks like the Hydraulic Lifters have been fitted wrongly. On the e - disc, it specifically shows there is a difference between the hydraulic "Posts" for inlet and exhaust. The exhausts I know to be 37 mm., but can't find the height for the inlets.

We have checked on the engine and it appears some, if not all have been fitted, inlets to exhaust and exhausts to inlets. The result being virtually zero compression.

It is infuriating as I pointed this out on several occasions to the engine builders and also supplied the E - disc, where the details are. I can only think that the guy building the engine was away at the time and the task taken over by someone who had not been briefed properly.

I know this things can happen but just looking at the lifters, would be enough to question locations, given the difference is obvious.

·
Premium Member
45,100 Posts
These roller/rocker arms are pretty similar to those on the Busso's so the potential for similar failings exists.
Only the 12v has rockers, the 24v has the cams directly over the hydraulic tappets.

·
Premium Member
45,100 Posts
I never knew that! Knew they were hydraulic. Belts changed by garage, but I have never seen below the covers of my 3.0.
You haven't lived until you've tackled a 24v belt change on your own for the first time. Many new swear word combinations will be discovered!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts