Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I know what you mean about everything else seeming weedy afterwards. I had an ex-police unmarked Saab 9-5 Aero. Standard spec it should have been 250bhp with around 330lbft torque. The Police had obviously had it "modified" and it was running well over the claimed figures! There is nothing I have ever driven that comes close to the 3rd gear power. Brilliant until a corner loomed into view at a scary rate of speed! Good brakes thankfully.

I had to re-read the section about the insurance claim, 27K for an Astra I thought...then read the minor bit about the Exige!

The 1.9 seems very weak in 1st in particular, loud and without much go. But after that I am actually pretty pleased. Have embarrased many a 320d owner. Which was nice.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I know what you mean about everything else seeming weedy afterwards. I had an ex-police unmarked Saab 9-5 Aero. Standard spec it should have been 250bhp with around 330lbft torque. The Police had obviously had it "modified" and it was running well over the claimed figures! There is nothing I have ever driven that comes close to the 3rd gear power. Brilliant until a corner loomed into view at a scary rate of speed! Good brakes thankfully.

I had to re-read the section about the insurance claim, 27K for an Astra I thought...then read the minor bit about the Exige!

The 1.9 seems very weak in 1st in particular, loud and without much go. But after that I am actually pretty pleased. Have embarrased many a 320d owner. Which was nice.
Sorry fella I was talking about the vx220 losing its splitter and spinning off into the Exige, not the Astra... That is still alive somewhere in Sheffield I believe :thumbs:

The Saab sounded great fun, and in a similar way have a similar attraction as Alfas... I wait to be flamed lol for that comment :lol:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Don't think you are far from the mark there, not with proper Saabs anyway. They both sit in, or used to sit in a lower production niche market. One of the reasons I used to love me Saabs, there were few around. Feel the same about the Alfa now.
Great history, some great/epic models. Bought out by larger companies, then the compromises begin....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Don't think you are far from the mark there, not with proper Saabs anyway. They both sit in, or used to sit in a lower production niche market. One of the reasons I used to love me Saabs, there were few around. Feel the same about the Alfa now.
Great history, some great/epic models. Bought out by larger companies, then the compromises begin....
Well you get my vote fella :thumbs:

I used to love my Saab 900 turbo complete with rear plastic spoiler puddle catcher :p

41 - 45 of 45 Posts