Alfa Romeo Forum banner

3,2,1 I'm back in the room...

Tags
back room
3K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  chuckyb 
#1 ·
Well will be on Friday :p

All I'm going to say is that the GT just didn't do it for me, and as much as I tried I just couldn't fall in love with it. Shame really as it is a good car!

I couldn't afford another decent age/spec Spider or Brera, (post 08 revision) and have had both anyway lol, so it was either leave the fold and look at something else...

....or try a 159 for a change! :D

I must admit I'm really looking forward to it, so hope it turms out to be a good car! Pics to follow, although once you've seen one ti I guess you've seen em all.

Obviously it's not going to stay standard for long and as i've finally bought a car from Mangos (Thanks Julian :thumbs:) at least they'll be fettling with one of their own cars for a change hahah!

#3 ·
Have gone for the 1.9 Graham. I really wanted the 2.4 again as it's the best balance of power/mpg, especially with the milage that I do... but funds just couldn't stretch that far this time! (3.2 was out of the question :cry:)

I can't believe this is my 5th Alfa in 10 months lol... Nearly as bad as you! :lol:

#4 ·
Nice one Mike:thumbs:

Ti's are stunning. Mine was a fantastic car and had I a 3.2 I wouldn't have swapped.

The Brera is something really very special though:inlove:

#5 ·
Thanks Simon :thumbs:

Yes I really loved my Brera for the short period I had it! I could never walk away without turning back for a second glance... Glad you're pleased with yours as it does look fantastic!

#8 ·
I was sat in a lovely 06 plate GT today, black with tan leather. Looked gorgeous.
Could I get comfortable in those seats? Could I chuff. Must be made for very, very slim folk. I'm only 6 feet tall and weigh 13 stone, so no bloater, and couldn't get my back in at all.
And the 1.9 in the 159 is a cracker after a remap. Really pulls well from very low down the rev range, and still returns a decent enough mpg. I think it is a great combination after the remap/tuning has been done.
Handling wise, I have the standard suspension/brake set up with 18 inch wheels and it turns in and holds onto the road much better than a car of its size should do! A physics defying automobile.
Bet the Ti is even better. Maybe one day...

#11 ·
I nearly went for a 2.4 in Lusso spec as I know we can get 270+bhp quite easily out of that engine, but wouldn't have been happy until I'd made it look like a ti which would have cost quite a bit! :rolleyes:

I know the 1.9 engine really well and know with the right mods I can make it quick enough to keep me happy for a while without too much expense... So in the end this was the cheaper option.

ohh 1.9Ti !! Great car:):cool:
I'm sure your going to love all the gizmo's in the Ti, and the pink red suits you:p

(may see you later this week....shhh:D)
Yeah talking of gay pink 4 door cars...Where's H lol? :cheese:

See you in the Morning lover! :p Hope you've got your Camera :cool:

1.9 Ti is a joy even in std spec... Mango modded will be fantastic... welcome back. Agree with the comments about GT interior etc.
Just back from Giulietta launch event in Glasgow... luuuurvely....I want one (as well as 159) :)
Thanks fella :thumbs:

Yeah that could well be my next Alfa (Sssh don't tell the Mrs she'll chop my whatsit off :wow: if I mention another Alfa purchase this year :p)

#10 ·
1.9 Ti is a joy even in std spec... Mango modded will be fantastic... welcome back. Agree with the comments about GT interior etc.
Just back from Giulietta launch event in Glasgow... luuuurvely....I want one (as well as 159) :)

#13 ·
He he.... :lol: News travels fast...;)

"Taxi for Mikey, Taxi for Mikey!" :finger:

Never thought I'd see you in a red 4 door saloon after your comments about my beastie... :p:lol:

Pleased for you though matey - hope the 1.9 can be wound up enough to satisfy the devil on your shoulder :thumbs:

Look forward to seeing it in the (pink) flesh ;)

#15 ·
He he.... :lol: News travels fast...;)

"Taxi for Mikey, Taxi for Mikey!" :finger:

Never thought I'd see you in a red 4 door saloon after your comments about my beastie... :p:lol:

Pleased for you though matey - hope the 1.9 can be wound up enough to satisfy the devil on your shoulder :thumbs:

Look forward to seeing it in the (pink) flesh ;)
Yeah we'll see H if she has potential and can make the grade! Managed 235 out of the OPC's 1.9 unit which is exactly the same engine but without DPF and that survived 70k of spirited driving lol :p

I have a 159 with all the mango's mods. Remap, Boost mod and Induction kit and it does go really well. I'm probably going to get the Dynamic module fitted when it goes in for some braking improvements in the next week or so. I think i'm one of the few to have the induction kit fitted to a 1.9.

Good luck with the new motor!
Thanks Russ :thumbs: I'm really looking forward to the ti I must admit...

What brake upgrade you looking at?

#14 ·
I have a 159 with all the mango's mods. Remap, Boost mod and Induction kit and it does go really well. I'm probably going to get the Dynamic module fitted when it goes in for some braking improvements in the next week or so. I think i'm one of the few to have the induction kit fitted to a 1.9.

Good luck with the new motor!

#16 ·
Blah Blah Blah....at the end of the day, every other 159 out there is a TI.

Mine, on the other hand, is like "an engima wrapped inside a riddle"....is it a Lusso, an LE, a TI? Like a snowflake...unique onto itself :D

#17 ·
Mine, on the other hand, is like "an engima wrapped inside a riddle".... :D
Is that like saying ''sh*t wrapped in a blanket'' hey Medster? :cheese:

Anyway you've been so desperate to make yours look more like a ti every day lol

So far you've added mat chrome mirror covers and a chrome tailpipe. If it wasn't for the fact it was a lease car and Mrs Medster rules the roost, you'd have lowered it and added side skirts by now!:p

You closet ''ti'' boy!

#19 ·
It won't make you go any faster on the Dyno day! :lol:

#21 ·
yeah yeah... Money where your mouth is my office buddy :p

So far i've bought a Brera from Piccadilly Motors in Knaresborough and David and the car were spot on, and I'd have no quarms at all from highly recommending them. Nothing was too much trouble and just goes to show people buy people and not just the products.

Then there was Palmers Alfa Romeo in Hemel Hempstead... Oh dear... great at sales, totally crap at car preparation, and the customer service was appauling! Needless to say i'll never set foot in their dealership again! The fact that the showroom shares its space with Peugeot's should have been enough of a visable warning! :eek:

Then in Feb I bought the GT from a little dealership plot in the BOC car showroom in Bolton. This was a family run, father and son concern and a pleasure to deal with, with an absolutely immaculately presented car, well prepared and ready for me to drive away... What more could you ask for!

More recently I bought a 147 for the misses from a rural countryside garage in the middle of Lincolnshire who's preparation, attention to detail and customer service was outstanding! Just goes to show that you don't need to be a multi-million pound dealership to get the good old fashioned basics right...

Which brings us neatly to this week... It will be interesting to see whether the Mangos experience of collecting your new-used car on handover day lives up to their reputation! :p Watch this space as I will say exactly how it is :thumbs:

#22 ·
Well I collected the ti yesterday from Mangoletsi, and had a really enjoyable handover which made for a great experience! Nothing was too much trouble (I can be demanding :p) and I have to say they do have a great team down there who really care, and it was a pleasurable morning! :thumbs:

The car was like a shiny penny sat in the showroom, taxed and ready to go! Luke had even given me 7 days free insurance just to make sure all was complete, and John swapped the mods so that I didn't have to live with basic 1.9 power :D. What more could you ask for!!

Anyway enough waffle...

#23 ·
Mikey, dunno if it's a photobucket or AO error but pics not coming up...getting a "Read Error" on all links except for the last one....basically it's timing out...

#24 ·
Yeah it's Photobucket being gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I think they're working on it, as it took ages to upload them!

The pics are FB fella, if you want a nosey :thumbs:

#26 ·
Mikey, the car looks awesome and have to say, I'm a teeeny weeeny itsy bitsy bit jealou! LOL!!

Cannot wait to see it in the flesh and take it for a spin.

#29 ·
Mikey, the car looks awesome and have to say, I'm a teeeny weeeny itsy bitsy bit jealou! LOL!!

Cannot wait to see it in the flesh and take it for a spin.
'ti's are NOT for Watford girls :D

No seriously fella you can take her out on Tuesday lunchtime and see how it compares to your gorgous Lusso! :thumbs:

#27 ·
i really gotta get me those ti spec side skirts for mine, make all the difference for a red 159 ....

lovely car, mate, greetings from bulgaria

im looking into swapping my puny 1.9 jtdm for a 3.2, but the mpg is really a bad thing cause i drive like 40-50 000 km/year....

here is some herecy - a buddy suggested i get a 3.2 and covnert it over to LPG :D

#28 ·
i really gotta get me those ti spec side skirts for mine, make all the difference for a red 159 ....

lovely car, mate, greetings from bulgaria

im looking into swapping my puny 1.9 jtdm for a 3.2, but the mpg is really a bad thing cause i drive like 40-50 000 km/year....

here is some herecy - a buddy suggested i get a 3.2 and covnert it over to LPG :D
Thanks fella :thumbs: I'll be in Bulgaria near Sofia soon as a friend of mine is buidling a house... It's a beautiful country!!

Yes the ti spec from a cosmetic and spec perspectic is pretty impressive! I'm not sure how much the skirts would be from the dealers, but would imagine like most OEM parts that they'll be expensive...

Not convinced with LPG as the initial purchase and install costs are prohibitive, and it would take a few years to break even!

I change cars like my undercrackers :)lol:) so for me if wouldn't be worth it! :cheese:

#31 ·
Well the games have started lol... I knew it wouldn't be long before I got itchy fingers!! :p :rolleyes:

I've just ordered a subtle rear boot lip spoiler, the type which is just on the leading edge and not too obtrusive, which will hopefully be here sometime next week.

I've just won a bargain Kenwood double din Sat Nav on fleabay at starting price because the muppet listed it to finish at 01.05am doh, so no one else bid!! :lol: and then I stumbled across a nice simple reg plate on DVLA select...TI 6LFA

I just need to get my *** to the DVLA office so I can put it on :thumbs:

#33 ·
Sounds like we're going to be owning twins Mikey... :evillaugh:

Only you chose the chug chug engine...:p

Looking forward to seeing it mate :thumbs:

#35 · (Edited)
Sounds like we're going to be owning twins Mikey... :evillaugh:

Only you chose the chug chug engine...:p

Looking forward to seeing it mate :thumbs:
Nah mines still Red H! :cheese:

Well we'll see about chug chug lol... I have a few plans for this little whipper snapper 1.9, which should hopefully see about 240bhp if it goes as I think it will! :thumbs:

JB can we have a chat about sharing Intercooler development costs??

#34 ·
Looked at the side skirts yesterday, around £340 with fittings but not sprayed to match. Gulp. Maybe leaving those....
A cracking looking car indeed. Red is the way to go for me next time. Have my eyes set on either a 2.4 or 1.8tbi in Ti spec. Red with tan interior......hmmmm......tan leather.......drool....

Hope this one is a good 'un for you.

#36 ·
Looked at the side skirts yesterday, around £340 with fittings but not sprayed to match. Gulp. Maybe leaving those....
A cracking looking car indeed. Red is the way to go for me next time. Have my eyes set on either a 2.4 or 1.8tbi in Ti spec. Red with tan interior......hmmmm......tan leather.......drool....

Hope this one is a good 'un for you.
Yeah the skirts are a tad expensive... It might be worth keeping a look out for a ti being broken on Ebay...either that or buying them in installments :p One this month etc... painting the next?

Yeah 2.4 for me all the way after the power John got my Spider to put down, I really miss the surge and wharp like speed that engine can offer if tweaked properly! As for the tan leather :inlove: Mehdi's has it in his lusso and it's gorgeous!!

#39 ·
Just checked out you gallery, please don't tell me that the 220 is in the garage as a weekend "toy"! That will actually make me cry for real....

The Opel looks the business, really love that coupe style/shape, looked at a few while back, just couldn't get on with the interior.
Sounds like an exciting prospect, will look forward to the developments as it builds.
What are you running at the moment in the 159? Which mods were swopped over?

I was toying with an air filter/induction set up to complement the remap, but wasn't sure as to the effect on the diesel engine/ecu.
After years of playing with Saab petrol turbo engines I'm just beginning to see this diesel malarchy for what can actually be achieved!

#40 ·
I wish it was still alive lol... Alas it bit the dust when the offside front splitter decided to part company with the front bumper at just under 90mph!

It did survive after a heavy rebuild, but in the end I had to sell it unfortunately. The record is still on my insurance lol when they say... ''Have you had an accident in the last 5 years'' and I say...''yes and it was my fault and the claim was for 27 grand! :eek:

Basically I span off the track hitting an Exige on the way and took out about 6 pieces of Armaco :lol:

The 159 only has the boost mod and a AutoDelta tuning box at present, although John owes me an Induction kit which hopefully has arrived by now. Because it's a heavy car it still feels lethargic, especially top and bottom end, so hence more power is needed. The Spider managed 274bhp and 427lbft with a bit of modding, so everything seems weedy in comparison!

#41 ·
I know what you mean about everything else seeming weedy afterwards. I had an ex-police unmarked Saab 9-5 Aero. Standard spec it should have been 250bhp with around 330lbft torque. The Police had obviously had it "modified" and it was running well over the claimed figures! There is nothing I have ever driven that comes close to the 3rd gear power. Brilliant until a corner loomed into view at a scary rate of speed! Good brakes thankfully.

I had to re-read the section about the insurance claim, 27K for an Astra I thought...then read the minor bit about the Exige!

The 1.9 seems very weak in 1st in particular, loud and without much go. But after that I am actually pretty pleased. Have embarrased many a 320d owner. Which was nice.

#42 ·
I know what you mean about everything else seeming weedy afterwards. I had an ex-police unmarked Saab 9-5 Aero. Standard spec it should have been 250bhp with around 330lbft torque. The Police had obviously had it "modified" and it was running well over the claimed figures! There is nothing I have ever driven that comes close to the 3rd gear power. Brilliant until a corner loomed into view at a scary rate of speed! Good brakes thankfully.

I had to re-read the section about the insurance claim, 27K for an Astra I thought...then read the minor bit about the Exige!

The 1.9 seems very weak in 1st in particular, loud and without much go. But after that I am actually pretty pleased. Have embarrased many a 320d owner. Which was nice.
Sorry fella I was talking about the vx220 losing its splitter and spinning off into the Exige, not the Astra... That is still alive somewhere in Sheffield I believe :thumbs:

The Saab sounded great fun, and in a similar way have a similar attraction as Alfas... I wait to be flamed lol for that comment :lol:

#43 ·
Don't think you are far from the mark there, not with proper Saabs anyway. They both sit in, or used to sit in a lower production niche market. One of the reasons I used to love me Saabs, there were few around. Feel the same about the Alfa now.
Great history, some great/epic models. Bought out by larger companies, then the compromises begin....

#44 ·
Well you get my vote fella :thumbs:

I used to love my Saab 900 turbo complete with rear plastic spoiler puddle catcher :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.