Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my left outer cv joint the other day due to a perished boot and a bit of clicking. While undoing the inner cv I noticed a fair bit of play, say 4mm, in the diff bearings. It's not making any noise. How big a job is it to replace the bearings and seals on a diff?

Mark

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Some degree of play in the output flange is pretty normal, it's most likely not the main diff bearings, more likely the output flange a tad loose in the side gear of the diff plus the side gear loose in the diff itself. On the auto, it's a total strip down to get at the diff.

Is there an oil leak at that seal? If not, I'd leave it well alone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chris, that is the best advice I could have wished for. I'm not sure how it all works so I'll look for an exploded diagram, I wondered how a shaft could have so much movement and not be leaking. Hopefully the rego inspector will believe me, I'll tell him Chris said it'll be alright. ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same with mine, I have checked a bit, pretty normal. Since it is a gearbox out job, just drive, as already suggested.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll leave it and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the link Chris however I can't seem to get it to work.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
+1 (albeit with a 164 manual) but my last 164 always had a similar amount of play in the output flanges and when I scrapped it at a quarter of a million miles, it STILL had about the same amount of play!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Just did :) My reply was pretty much the same as on this thread, so at least I’m sticking to my story ;)
ChrisS = legend

Reactions: -taf- and John Sahl
1 - 10 of 10 Posts