Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could anyone confirm if the following gear ratios are correct for the 3.0l gtv, any advice appreciated

1st 3.500
2nd 2.235
3rd 1.560
4th 1.156
5th 0.971
6th 0.816

final drive 3.562

cheers, doug

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Thanks philgtv6:thumbs:

Looks like that GTV gearbox that has 1 tooth less on its final drive will be virtually identical to my 3.2 gta gearbox.

Handy as I have just bought one to go on my gta.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I dusted off the abacus:

at the 7200rpm limiter, with 225/45R17 tyres on the speeds are:

1st 40.4mph
2nd 63.3mph
3rd 90.7mph
4th 122.4mph
5th 145.7 mph
6th 173.3mph

·
Registered
401 Posts
I dusted off the abacus:

at the 7200rpm limiter, with 225/45R17 tyres on the speeds are:

1st 40.4mph
2nd 63.3mph
3rd 90.7mph
4th 122.4mph
5th 145.7 mph
6th 173.3mph
Hi Phil. I thought the max speed for the 3.0 v6 was 154mph. Are you saying that 170+ mph is possible? If not, what is holding it back? Wind and road resistance?

Just curious really, I don't have the guts to get on a runway and get to top speed.

Andy

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi Phil. I thought the max speed for the 3.0 v6 was 154mph. Are you saying that 170+ mph is possible? If not, what is holding it back? Wind and road resistance?

Just curious really, I don't have the guts to get on a runway and get to top speed.

Andy
It basically means the 6th gear is fuel saving. I have driven my GTV V6 on the german autobahn a couple of times. If you want acceleration you are looking for 5th gear even well past 200 km/h.
What is holding 6th gear back? Lack of horsepower i would say. :)

That being said the GTV at 250 km/h is not a nice experience. Frontend gets very light. It's not a safe cruise at that speed. The 159 compared at that speed is well placed on the road.
The GTV is made for corners.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wouldnt agree, it's perfectly stable, i even managed to record it myself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YRAAW4HPY
Not saying it is unstable. It just doesn't feel very planted at that speed.
The short wheelbase doesn't help in that regard.

The often scolded high weight of the 159 makes it feel much more planted at such high speeds.
That being said: I had to buy a new set of brakes after an insane lorry driver forced me to e-brake. Weight is never good. :lol:

@Fred: You should remove gears 4, 5 and 6 to save weight in that case. ;)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Not saying it is unstable. It just doesn't feel very planted at that speed.
The short wheelbase doesn't help in that regard.

The often scolded high weight of the 159 makes it feel much more planted at such high speeds.
That being said: I had to buy a new set of brakes after an insane lorry driver forced me to e-brake. Weight is never good. :lol:

@Fred: You should remove gears 4, 5 and 6 to save weight in that case. ;)
Alan is only saying that his car is stable at high speed because its so modified for high performance then of course it will probably be stable up to 400Kmh on par with a Bugatti Veyron :lol:

And yes I should make more use of those higher 5th and 6th gears. They haven't been used in years probably growing cobwebs :lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
173 mph is a theoretical top speed. Very few cars will hit the rev limiter in top, unless they are very short geared.
Remember the drag is logarithmic in its resistance to motion so vastly more power would be needed.:eek::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts