Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

recently took the Cup in for Service, all is running sweet!

Except, over the past few weeks the rear has developed a creak (like when you have your handbrake on, on a hill - that kinda noise.)

It only does it when moving v slow and on hills, garage say that the rear bumpstops have broke. Am I right thinking these are bushes? IE just another word for them? Mechanic also suggested replacing springs at same time (Car has 72,000), is there any point as they work fine and aren't rusted or anything?

Anyone else had this?

Cheers
P

A

·
0 Posts
No - the bump stops are supposed to be fixed inside the coil at the top of the mounting. They prevent any damage to suspension when it is in maximum compression. I.e. will hit the rubber bump stop rather than metal to metal.
Mine have fallen off on both sides at the rear - it doesn't seem to have caused a massive problem.

As for bushes the attached picture may help explain it. All the pivot points/joints of the suspension are fixed using them.
Most people fit the powerflex ones as replacements as upgrades to OEM parts

Attachments

W

·
0 Posts
Bumpstops are usually just lumps of rubber above/in the springs, to stop contact between body and suspension when bottoming out or carrying heavy loads...don't see how they'd cause creaking as they don't move :confused:...unless I'm missing something about the GTV set up?

Creaking would indicate bushes/arms need attention. Not as desperate as the 2.0 cars with their thinner bushes, which allow wear of the subframe when they go...yours won't do that afaik.

Springs....they will weaken over time, up to you I guess.

W

·
0 Posts
Just a thought....the spring "cup" or whatever they're called, where the spring locates....perhaps they've worn and are allowing some metal to metal contact, hence the creaking????

Still favour the bushes....

wrinx

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Creaking tends to be the first sign of the inevitable worn bushes. Been there, got the Powerflexes. However, could just be a dry bush ... thinks, not after the recent weather?!! But the noise certainly can be eradicated by liberal applications of silicone spray. However, when the rattles/clonks start then get them fixed. As far as I know there is no difference between V6 and TS bushes, just that the V6 has a couple of rose joints instead. Ultimately the sub frame can still get chewed if you leave it & thats undesirable!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah cheers, see i asked the mechanic and he said the bushes and bumpstops are 2 entirely different things?

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
ah cheers, see i asked the mechanic and he said the bushes and bumpstops are 2 entirely different things?
Yes, as wrinx said above, bumpstops are just lumps of rubber in the base of the coil spring (on rear) that stop the spring from being fully compressed and bottoming out - or at least absorb the impact. For some reason they tend to become dislodged but usually remain contained by the coil spring but bottoming out shouldn't be a problem with standard suspension unless you drive very hard around bumpy corners with lots of load on board - or your shocks are knackered. Bushes form the flexible part of the joints between the various suspension arms and links. The constant movement of the suspension eventually wears out the original AR rubber type but polyurethane type such as powerflex will apparently outlast the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts