Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.0 v6 12v bottom engine that has been stood for about 4 years, the top end has been fully rebuilt and the bottom end checked over visually and was thought to be in very good condition, once restarted it runs a treat and sounds perfect only problem I have is a small amount of oil coming up into the inlet, suspect its the piston rings, piston liners looked like new when we checked them.

Is there anything else I should check or will it be the piston rings, anybody have any kicking around or know a good place to buy some from, will measure the bore size once its back in bits but presume standard.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I think "they all do that, sir"!

How much oil are we talking? Every 12V I've ever had has dripped oil down the induction hose towards the airflow meter. If I take the rubber induction hose off, I can always see a bit of oil trapped in the bottom of the convolutions in it.

All 12V V6s that I've had have also used a fair bit (by modern standards) of oil - typically 500 or so, miles to the pint. Unless abused in some way, the rings and bores seem pretty durable. Have you tried a compression test and are they all pretty even?

One thing I'm wondering is if, having been stood for a while, the rings are still a bit gummed-up in their slots? Might be worth treating it to several tankfulls of that tricky Shell fuel that's supposed to clean your engine and see if the problem persists after (say) 1000 miles?

The only other thing that I could suggest is the black can that sits in the breather hose at the back of the engine, at the timing belt pulley end. It's full of wire wool and I've noticed that on some engines that don't do long runs, it gets blocked with gunge and (in cold weather) mayonaise. It's worth taking that off and trying to wash it out with some sort of degreaser and / or solvent to make sure it's clear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alot mate, after running it up to temp to check everything was ok I noticed the oil in the inlet then the following moring there was a 3" diameter puddle of oil on the floor that had dripped out of the inlet.

I am going to strip it right back down again this weekend and take the block to an engine rebuilders on Monday so they can have a propper look at it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts