Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been quoted £532 INC Vat for a standard clutch (release b, pressure plate and disc) which seems very fair.

What do people think, go for a solid flywheel upgrade? Dual Mass is something like 14KG and a solid one about 8.5 I've read.

Then there is the Q2/Quaife diff option too....

Dual mass flywheels do have their advantages, who's has a solid one fitted??

Worth it and which one?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I did the gta clutch/flywheel and qualfe diff change and was impressed with it especially the lightness of the clutch peddle.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I went for the GTA/solid flywheel conversion and a Q2 diff. The clutch is very light to operate now. I do get some judder on take up which wasn't there previously. This may be due to the particular fly wheel, which was a s/h one that came with my car - maybe its not as smooth as it should be. Other folk I have spoken to haven't had this issue.

The car seems freer revving post conversion, maybe due to weight saving on the flywheel, but I also had the cam belts done at the same time and the fitter reckoned the timing had been slightly out, so that would affect performance too.

I haven't noticed any difference from the limited slip diff., although I haven't driven too much in slippery conditions where I would expect it to be a big improvement.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I've been quoted £532 INC Vat for a standard clutch (release b, pressure plate and disc) which seems very fair.

What do people think, go for a solid flywheel upgrade? Dual Mass is something like 14KG and a solid one about 8.5 I've read.

Then there is the Q2/Quaife diff option too....

Dual mass flywheels do have their advantages, who's has a solid one fitted??

Worth it and which one?
If you go for the solid flywheel, you'll need the Q2/Quaife at the same time. The DMF is there for a reason....

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
hi there, i did the conversion from a DMF to a single mass flywheel last year, your right there is a huge weight saving and the engine is so much free`r to rev now, Clutch is seriously soooooo light now previously it was a real thigh burn to hold it down, I had the Quaife done too, I dont drive like a maniac but roundabouts in the wet are no loner an issue.

I had the Alfa 3.0 Single mass flywheel it was a balanced one and alfa part, Expensive i am sure it was £600 but it was worth it, Quaife too was similar money and then while the gearbox is out all sorts of upgrades were done just purely for the easy access point of veiw, Overall very very happy a genuine worthwhile improvement

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tricky one this. £1092 inc vat for a GTA Solid Flywheel and Clutch conversion, so quite a step up in price.

Normally I would go for solid flywheel but the spider isn't the sharpest machine, goes well in a straight line but it is a bit more of a cruiser, my other half drives it quite a bit.

It does have a loud wizard exhaust though!!

Of course maybe they take it apart and the Dual Mass is buggered anyway!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Yes if your doing this have the GTA clutch its better than original and also the DMF are a part that will wear out so you dont want to have a good clutch and a DMF thats worn and rattles, Its expensive i agree but its best to do the SMF the clutch to a GTA one the thrust baring and the Qaiffe at same time

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I'm lucky
I have a 3.2 and it's the same as the gta
I have q2 and just fit konis throughout
what a car

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you go for the solid flywheel, you'll need the Q2/Quaife at the same time. The DMF is there for a reason....
Spider95, can you elaborate on this please? I wasn't aware of any association between the SMF and the need for Quaife/Q2. I know the 3.2 had a SMF and I believe the Q2, but i thought the Q2 was there to deal with the increased torque steer from the bigger engine and increased outputs, not anything to do with the SMF?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Spider95, can you elaborate on this please? I wasn't aware of any association between the SMF and the need for Quaife/Q2. I know the 3.2 had a SMF and I believe the Q2, but i thought the Q2 was there to deal with the increased torque steer from the bigger engine and increased outputs, not anything to do with the SMF?
Take away the DMF and the standard diff in the gearbox will take a lot more punishment. You risk the same kind of problem as what happens with the 3.2 V6 with the standard diff, and that has a DMF as well. The Q2/Quaife is much more robust internally and is much less likely to fail.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Take away the DMF and the standard diff in the gearbox will take a lot more punishment. You risk the same kind of problem as what happens with the 3.2 V6 with the standard diff, and that has a DMF as well. The Q2/Quaife is much more robust internally and is much less likely to fail.
OK. I guess it makes some sense that the lighter un-sprung SM flywheel having a lower moment of inertia would be more 'snappy' than the DMF so put the diff under more strain faster but with maximum torque coming at 5000 rpm I would have thought the differences in flywheel weights and torque transmission to the gearbox would have been negligible by that time. I am no engineer or mathematician but I am sure someone cleverer than me could calculate what that difference might be.

Fortunately I am fitting a Quaife and a SMF but to be honest I hadn't considered that had I not been putting the Quaife in I may have been putting the diff under more load. I believe the real issue is giving it plenty of beans with lock on which is generally not good for any gearbox.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The 3.2 has a electrinic gadget thingy which stops to much power going to front wheels

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I cant even bring myself to say it ........... but the 3.2 has Traction Control

Reactions: v6coop

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
Of course maybe they take it apart and the Dual Mass is buggered anyway!
That is likely. What are you going to do if your car is on someone's ramp at £50 an hour and needs a DMF? They're out of production, and even when available they were seven hundred quid. I won't take on a GTV V6 clutch change unless I've got a solid flywheel to hand, as I don't want to find myself in the position of having someone's gearbox on the floor and they need a DMF and I can't find one anywhere.

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
3.2 V6 in a GTV uses flywheel p/n 60676595, which is a solid flywheel, same one as found in the GTAs & GT 3.2. I think only the 166 3.2 used a DMF from factory.

I wouldn't trust a standard diff regardless of flywheel type fitted personally.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'll go for the GTA clutch and solid flywheel setup. Normally I would say also get a Quaife, but that looks to be a least a further grand to spend? and I have a wedding coming up.

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
I think I'll go for the GTA clutch and solid flywheel setup. Normally I would say also get a Quaife, but that looks to be a least a further grand to spend? and I have a wedding coming up.
If you've got the box out to do a clutch, then adding a Quaife diff is really only the cost of the diff and maybe an hour or 90 minutes labour.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm going for the SMF and GTA clutch, but not quaife for now at least. It is a spider after all, scuttle shake et al.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts