Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took ownership of a GTV cup and I noticed that once the car starts to warm up there seems to be a constant flow of steam/smoke out the back, and small amounts of water on the ground below the exhaust pipe - I decided to put an ice cream tub beneath the exhaust and give it a bit of an "enthusiastic rev" - I came back to a few mm of water in the ice cream tub.

Its definately water - but is this a good, bad, or normal sign for the V6 engine?

When I took ownership of the car, the coolant level was a little bit low, and the header tank a little bit murky, but ive filled it and it seems to be staying at the correct level.

The oil seems clear and theres no evidence of sludge under the filler cap.

Reading this post makes me think a little condensation is "normal" but is the amount of water coming out the exhaust "normal" and how can I rule out a head gasket issue?

Thanks in advance for your help

Otis

·
Administrator
23,025 Posts
Take it for a long run - 100 miles or so.

Blast it as best as you can - and enjoy!

When you get home if you put the same ice cream tub in the same place nothing will appear.

I am willing to bet that if your car has been little used but started infrequently then heaps of moisture has built in the exhaust which, if left will rot through.

Use it !

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
several threads on this issue, All easily explained nothing to worry about (usually) as already mentioned these exhaust systems trap water like no other and unless you do a very long drive 100 miles plus its not going to clear, Getting up to temperature is not enough its a long blast you need, They all do it you will find

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
yes agreed........................ take it on a 100 mile blast let everything gut up to temperature for 2 or 3 hours and all that trapped water in exhaust will evaporate..................... come back and do the 5 min idle test again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts