Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the 3.2 GTA 156 for just over a month now and I'd like to hear what the difference is please?
The GTA revs very linear and almost lazy as opposed to the GTA modz GTV that revs like a bike? Howcome the GTV revs so quick and revs to just between 7400-7500rpm and GTA only 7000rpm, howcome the GTA revs so slow, the GTA does not feel quick but it sits with the stage 2 GTi dsg well into 3rd, when you lookat the speedo you're close to 200kph...the GTV feels quick, the GTA is deceptive.

GTV modz - GTA cams, CDA,catless Ragga, Dastek, GTA flywheel en Q2...
GTA is completely stock with all 4 kitty's...

So, why does the GTA modz 3.0 feel fast than the 3.2 its mods are based on?:confused:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I don't think you can compare your worked GTV with a standard GTA.

I think with a decat & filter the GTA will come alive.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true...but thing revs so slow, I'm fetching my car tomorrow and dropping off the GTA, i have to be honest, it did not evoke any emotions in me...maybe because its not my car?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Guili - when I took the GTA to TN - I did also feel it is sluggish - it still pulls, but not enthusiastically - but then I put it down to my 156 3.0 has shorter gearbox - where your GTV and the GTA has similar gearing. But as said - that GTV is worked nicely.

I Agree with Avi - decat and filter

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes gertie...my dad is foolish he has too many cars, I told him to sell the silver 156 and use that cash to properly spec the GTA ala DesmoDucati and fix the 116 GTV at the same time.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
GTA is lighter and 3.2 is a better motor with slightly shorter ratios. It should beat a 3.0ltr

Your GTV is worked well(mods come together), cams, lighter flywheel and good tune-up makes the biggest difference.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Didn't that GTA's engine get swopped for a 3.2 from a GT, including the GT's ECU?

Are they exactly the same? I seem to remember that even though the GT's output figures are reported as lower, the two motors are actually exactly the same in all respects. Anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Didn't that GTA's engine get swopped for a 3.2 from a GT, including the GT's ECU?

Are they exactly the same? I seem to remember that even though the GT's output figures are reported as lower, the two motors are actually exactly the same in all respects. Anyone know more about this?
They are the same. The difference exists only on paper.
If you look at the reports from dyno days, it shows this.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Giorget, you are right, it has the GT motor I completely forgot, but Arthur is right also...176kw vs184kw...its those 8kw that Im feeling:cheese:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
GTA is lighter and 3.2 is a better motor with slightly shorter ratios. It should beat a 3.0ltr
I Beg to differ there :tut:
GTV Licencing Mass 1415kg
GTA Licencing Mass 1410kg
Then GTV with Lightened Fly Wheel - that would bring the linear and rotational weights to just about the same value, it not lighter on the GTV side with 16" wheels. To differentiate we have to nitpick on driver weights and fuel levels.
As for gearbox lengths - GTA and GTV has the same ratio's - only the final drive differ 3.733 vs 3.562 - that is 4.8% difference. To complete the comparison 2.5V6 final drive is 3.937 which is 5.2% from GTA. Now lets compare tire sizing: 205/50R16 vs 225/45R17 - that brings it back 3.6% - thus a RPM-to-SPEED difference of 1.2%

Your GTV is worked well(mods come together), cams, lighter flywheel and good tune-up makes the biggest difference.
This is true :thumbs: GTV has GTA1 inlet and outlet cams - GTA only on inlet... GTV has been unichip tuned to bring all together... GTA still kitty litter in exhaust...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I Beg to differ there :tut:
GTV Licencing Mass 1415kg
GTA Licencing Mass 1410kg
Then GTV with Lightened Fly Wheel - that would bring the linear and rotational weights to just about the same value, it not lighter on the GTV side with 16" wheels. To differentiate we have to nitpick on driver weights and fuel levels.
As for gearbox lengths - GTA and GTV has the same ratio's - only the final drive differ 3.733 vs 3.562 - that is 4.8% difference. To complete the comparison 2.5V6 final drive is 3.937 which is 5.2% from GTA. Now lets compare tire sizing: 205/50R16 vs 225/45R17 - that brings it back 3.6% - thus a RPM-to-SPEED difference of 1.2%
This is true :thumbs: GTV has GTA1 inlet and outlet cams - GTA only on inlet... GTV has been unichip tuned to bring all together... GTA still kitty litter in exhaust...
GTA gives 38km/1000rpm 3.0 GTV has 42km/1000rpm(quite over geared - good for quiet cruising). Most GTVs I've seen run on 205/55R16 which is the same gearing as the 225/45R17
If you are correct about the lisensing masses, the GTA is 200kg heavier than a 2.5 156(strange).
S3 GTV's MAY be the same as as the GTA(I will have to check with Hennie, but question that), but the GTVs in discussion are all 3.0 ltrs.
Does the GT have a DMF? I have it for the same light steel flywheel of the GTA.
The ECU on the 3.2s are a serious step forward from the older Alfas. Lance's GTV has GTA1 cams on inlet and exhaust, std 3.0 GTVs have the same cams as 2.5 and GTA exhaust.
The 176kW/184kW was merely an advertising effort to make the GTA better. Everything on the engines are identical and the dyno figures confirm that. But the 3.0 ltrs are 160 kW engines and need some dedicated fiddling to match a std healthy 3.2(which is stronger than just adding 6%(200cc) to 160 kW)

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Most GTVs I've seen run on 205/55R16 which is the same gearing as the 225/45R17.
GTA gives 38km/1000rpm 3.0 GTV has 42km/1000rpm(quite over geared - good for quiet cruising).
How do you get to that?
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/171433-3-0l-gtv-6-speed-gear-ratios.html#post2635108
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/328678-what-rpm-corresponds-to-100kph-in-5th-gear.html#post4703403
ALFA ROMEO ALFA GTV, 3.0 V6 24V catalog - reviews, pics, specs and prices | Goo-net Exchange
Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V, Manual, 1998 - 1999, 220 Hp, 2 doors Technical Specifications, CO2
All not 100% consistent - but all references brings the GTV between 39.5 to 39.9km/h / 1000rpm on 205/50R16 or 40.8 to 41.2 on 205/55/R16's

As for the GTA - it comes in at 38.8km/h / 1000rpm:
italiaspeed.com: the Italian Automotive news information portal with details of the new Alfa Romeo 147 GTA

That is 6.4% variance at worst... not 10%
Again - just complete the sequence - the 2.5 comes in at 36.98km/h / 1000rpm

And if we are going to apply rounding on those numbers: the GTV=41 , the GTA=39 and the 2.5=37

·
Registered
454 Posts
but do chicks diggit?

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lmfao

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Interesting thread, I agree that with decatted manifolds the Gta becomes a different animal completely, mine has high power racing manifolds - downpipes - decat - silenced cat back so no cats at all and it revs very fast in comparison to standard. On the other hand I always understood that all 3.2 motors were identical Gta vs gt vs gtv3.2 but the gtas 10bhp was real difference due to its different engine mapping from the factory.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Interesting thread, I agree that with decatted manifolds the Gta becomes a different animal completely, mine has high power racing manifolds - downpipes - decat - silenced cat back so no cats at all and it revs very fast in comparison to standard. On the other hand I always understood that all 3.2 motors were identical Gta vs gt vs gtv3.2 but the gtas 10bhp was real difference due to its different engine mapping from the factory.
on paper - there is a difference in compression ratio (0.5). But all the part numbers for pistons/rods/gaskets/crank are the same :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts